Fernando

Yunara was out in the fields again, by the river. Taking off her shoes, dipped her toes into the water, sighing contentedly as she felt how refreshing the water was lapping up against her skin in this heat.

She thought how Manuel's mood suddenly changed. He seemed to be losing patience with her. She was lucky that he had the kindness to offer her work, but surely patience would run out if she didn't prove herself worthy of the job. And so far, all she'd proven was that she was a horrible pupil without much of a voice.

Just then, as she was kicking her feet playfully in the water, she looked back and saw the butler coming. Albert approached her and said to Yunara. "Ven conmigo, por favor."

She at least understood he was saying to come with him. "¿Clase de Español?" she asked in the best accent she could manage.

Alberto shook his head. "Ven," he said simply.

Followed Alberto and he led her to a carriage that was pulled around to the front of the house, she found Manuel there waiting.

Manuel looked grim. "Get inside the carriage. We're going."

"Going? Where?"

"To a man named Fernando."

###

The carriage ride to Fernando's masia was silent. Manuel didn't say a word to Yunara, making her feel all the more self-conscious.

They arrived at the masia and Alberto helped Yunara out the carriage. Yunara stepped out and beheld the beautiful masia, surrounded by climbing vines and flowering bushes. Behind and around the masia were vineyards that stretched out as far as Yunara could see. The two of them approached the front door and knocked, welcomed by a servant that greeted them and ushered them in while Alberto went around to park the carriage.

"Bienvenidos," said a large old man with white hair and a long beard at the top of the staircases of the foyer. He must have been Fernando, wearing all of the usual fancy clothing that Lords wore, carrying a beautifully carved wooden cane that had a carving of a fox at the end. He came down the stairs, placing a monocle on his eye as he did. He said some words in Spanish to Manuel, and Manuel responded, looking angry. They went back and forth a little, then Manuel objected, "You don't even speak English, how can you hold a conversation with her?" he said in English.

"I speak it well enough," said Fernando, silencing and surprising him. "Yunara, is it? Come with me. I must speak to you first."

Yunara felt out of place, Manuel obviously bothered by it, but she followed Fernando as he led her up the stairs. "We will go to my office," he said slowly, in a thick accent. "Please forgive my English. It is not perfect."

"You speak it very well. Much better than I do Spanish."

He chuckled, a warm smile spreading across his face. "Patience, young Naiad, all in due time."

She was left in shock, falling behind as opened the door to his office. He knew what she was?

"Are you coming?" he asked as he held the door open.

Recollecting her wits, she followed after.

His office was beautiful, with a desk made from a deep, dark wood. The chairs were upholstered with colorful fabric and pretty details, the wood floors covered with a rug that was surely imported. It had foreign patterns and symbols all over it, and was deep burgundy in color, with beautiful brown accents.

Fernando gestured to the chair that was across from him and Yunara sat down.

"What all do you know?" he asked first.