The Chosen

"Lord Stretton is after much more than just the Ecencian throne," Fernando went on to say. "The Ancient Ones sense that his goals are much graver. He is looking to conquest. On both worlds. The Aracs found this relic themselves. Before, in ancient times, there were hidden sanctuaries where those that heard the Unseeables kept very powerful items they were given. Those sanctuaries were destroyed by the Aracs, many years back. 

"A long time ago, humans and Caorfians used to be able to speak with the Unseeables, though few knew how to do it. The Unseeables had to teach us how to hear them. The Dark Ones then had a problem. The Coarfians and humans had the power to protect themselves with the items and knowledge given to them by the Unseeables, and the Dark Ones started dying off. So, as a last resort, they decided to sell themselves as slaves to humans that were just as wicked as they were, in a practice that later became exclusive to the Aracs. They agreed that if Caorfians promised them services or offerings, that they would perform a service for them in exchange. That is how the Aracs came to be. 

"So in the beginning, as payment for killing their enemies or anything else Caorfians asked for, the Dark Ones requested the destruction of the sanctuaries, books, and everything else that recorded information about the Unseeables. Soon, they were forgotten completely, and the Dark Ones were yet again able to thrive, though under the bondage of the Aracs."

Lord Fernando leaned back in his chair and said, "And now here we are. Count Francis Stretton is the leader of the Aracs at the moment. And he has plans that are so dangerous, the Ancient Ones have instructed the Unseeables to once again find a way to make us hear them to save us all from his ideas. That necklace is part of his plan, though only a small portion. They captured Cadri because they thought she was chosen by the Ancient Ones. A long time ago, the Ancient Ones chose a different five people, that when brought together, unlocked enough power to lock away the most powerful Dark Ones in history, and their generals. Greed, Rage, and Fear are their names, the Dark Lords. Count Francis is a dangerous man and is seeking to collect enough relics to take the power from them and unlock them again. The Ancient Ones decided that they needed to make sure the Dark Lords never became free again. So once again they have chosen five people to give enough power that when together, can put the Dark Ones away again.

"But it seems the Aracs have changed plans. With the power within one Chosen of the Ancients, the Aracs would have no need for any relics. All they would need is one of the Chosen, and they would have more than enough power to free the Dark Lords. The Aracs have summoned two monsters called Pitrious and Nexa."

"I saw them," Yunara said, hating thinking about them. "What were they? I have never seen Dark Ones like those."

Fernando nodded gravely. "They are Dark Ones of the most twisted kind and have not been summoned in a very long time. Pitrious is blind but incredibly strong. He cannot see for himself, but he is mentally connected to Nexa, who has an all-seeing eye but has no arms to defend herself. She can see for Pitrious, and also into the future of their enemies. When you think of a plan to harm them, Nexa will already know what it is and will warn Pitrious.

"What's more, Nexa also has the ability to detect power from Unseeables, much like my monocle. The Ancient Ones knew that if Nexa felt one of their Chosen near the castle, she would tell the Aracs to capture him or her. So they asked for someone to masquerade as the Chosen. They would make someone look as if they had all the power of the Chosen, and not really have any at all. And Cadri was the first to offer herself. To protect you."

Yunara couldn't speak. Princess Cadri was captured... to protect her maid?

Fernando continued, "And the plan works perfectly if we work quick enough. The Aracs are in possession of a... how would you say? An imposter? And we can get to work. We must gather the other Chosen, and help them find the weapons the Ancient Ones prepared for them."