Revett (Part 2)

She ran to her father’s side, helping him off of his horse as he said, “Kailu... Kailu, we have to run.”

“Papa?”

“There’s an army coming from the west. They carry the symbol of the new King Stretton. It’s an army of soldiers and Dark Ones. I was coming back from my business in Garrinston when I saw them coming. I barely made it here to warn you before they arrive. We don’t have much time. They were close behind me.”

Kailu looked to Manuel and Yunara. “Who are these people? Why are they here?”

“I don’t know,” Yunara answered.

“They’re looking for you, Kailu” Lorenn answered, appearing in the air and landing on the man’s horse. Kailu’s father didn’t turn his head. Yunara supposed he couldn’t see her. But Kailu fixated her attention to the owl. “Cadri has informed us that the Aracs are now seeking after the Chosen. They will request the help of Nexa, for certain. She’s the one of the few Dark Ones that can sense the scent of the Chosen. Surely she will ask for a high cost for the service. Kailu, King Stretton is willing to kill his own citizens to pay that cost. This madman won’t stop. And this coming army is direct proof of that.”

Just then they heard a cry. Below them, smoke was rising from the buildings of the town. From their viewpoint, they could see the armies of knights and Dark Ones coming into people's homes and lighting them on fire, screams coming out from everywhere. People tried to run, but the Dark Ones were too quick. Only a few fairies that took off on wings were able to get way, but the slaughter had already commenced.

Kailu’s father grunted, clenching his stomach and wincing.

“Papa, we have to get you someplace safe.”

“I’ll only slow you down. You have to go without me. Grab my horse and escape far away from here.”

“Where would I go? Papa, I’m not going without you.”

Manuel said, “Look!”

From the hill was coming a Dark One on a black horse with red eyes. It had a humanoid form, with bulging muscles. It’s skin was a sickly pale-green color, and snarled with a hog-like face, with flaring nostrils. It’s black eyes fixed on Kailu, and it reared it’s horse, coming charging up the hill with his sword in his hand as the sound of a crow screaming pierced the air.

Yunara pulled out her flask of water, and water came out and solidified into the shape of a spear. Manuel pulled out his own sword.

The Dark One came in on them. Kailu went running to the hut and came out with a long blade that she grasped with obvious practice in two hands. The rider dismounted the horse while it was still in motion, swinging at Yunara, who was standing the closest. She ducked the strike from the tall opponent and placed herself behind the horse. Manuel came charging from behind, trying to swing in from the side with his sword.

The beast turned around and pulled out a second sword, swatting away Manuel’s attack with one fluid movement and shoving him into the ground.

Kailu cried, “Papa!”

Yunara turned and saw that while the rest of them had been directed towards the Dark One, three more horsemen just like the first had come, surrounding the father. One of them spoke, “All we need is one of you two. Come with us and we’ll leave him in peace.”

Two? Yunara remembered. The Dark Ones thought that Cadri was chosen, not Yunara. They only saw Manuel and Kailu as the targets here.

“Don’t listen to them!” Kailu’s father shouted. “Run! Leave me here!”