Two Foreign Maids (Part 1)

Yunara sat in her room infuriated. She couldn't believe how pig-headed Manuel was suddenly acting. At first he was so kind to her when she first came to his manor, but more and more he started distancing himself from her, and now he was all of a sudden accusing her!

Just then Kailu came into the room. "What happened to him? I just came into the room and everything was a mess."

"He's mad at me,"

"Why?"

"I have no idea. I was just treating him, and he suddenly got angry with me for no reason."

Kailu let herself fall into her bed, her gaze off in the distance. She didn't seem to care much about the conversation. Yunara didn't get offented. She realised that her world was turning upside down as much as Yunara's was.

"You know, everything's changed in Ecencia now," Kailu said numbly. "My mother died at the hand of the Aracs in Crila. There were so many of them in Crila, they killed her just for not joining them. That's why we moved to Ecencia, papa and I. We knew they were here too, but..."

"I know what you mean," Yunara said, thinking about her own expectations when coming to Ecencia. "I moved to Ecencia when I was very young for the same reason. I came alone, though."

"Your parents were killed by the Aracs as well?"

"No, they died of sickness, the both of them," Yunara said, her mind becoming lost in the memory. "I didn't feel safe in Crila with Dark Ones lurking around every night, so I ran away to Ecencia. I worked for a lot of nobility as a cleaning lady for a while, but they always fired me one way or another. I've always had a big mouth that got me in trouble," she chuckled. "But eventually I came to work for the princess of Ecencia. It was an incredible honour. At first I only work as a silent little girl that cleaned the floors and did what I was told without questioning anything. But then, Cadri took an interest in me as someone to talk to, and eventually she begged her parents to make me her personal servant. She has always been more of a friend to me than a mistress, something I will always admire her for." Tears stung her eyes all over again. She did what she could to push from the images that threatened to flash in her mind. Because she was sure if she let them, she wouldn't be able to return."I was there when they were killed," she said in a small voice. "You can't imagine the pain I went through to see them like that. The royal family has been the closest thing I've had to a family since I left Crila."

Kailu crossed her arms and turned her head, pretending to wipe away dust from her eyes. "I don't understand what we're here for. Papa has a lot of romantic ideas. I'm sure he thinks that the Ecencian people can win back their country or something."

"You don't?"

"Like I said, it's very romantic, but I see things a little more realistically. The Aracs have control and power that not even the King and Queen could overcome. I came with you both because papa asked me to, and frankly, because I'm not sure I have anywhere else to go anymore. But I don't know if I believe that however many we are can truly stop what the Aracs have started in Ecencia. Not now."

"What do you mean by 'not now'?"

"I mean that before now, the Aracs have never had a member of the royal family on their side before. Now that they have prince Renen, nothing can stop them. The fool is being used as a puppet and he doesn't even know it!"

Yunara had to admit she was right. All of this tipped over when Renen joined his uncle. That was the turning point that set everything else into motion. He had allowed his uncle to turn him into a monster, and because of that, the entire nation was suffering.

A knock came at the door, and Manuel came in opening the door slowly. "I have news," he said.

Over the next few minutes, he explained to them the conversation he had with Lorenn, and the passage he read in his father's diary about the woman she mentioned. The entire time he spoke, he sought out Yunara's eyes, but she averted her gaze every time he did. She didn't know what he wanted from her. First he was furious, and now he sought her gaze. She was done with trying to figure him out.

"Then we're going to Málaga," Yunara summed up when he finished.

"Precisely. Lucia Fuentes was an old friend of my father, and I'm sure if she had anything to do with... all of this, she'd be glad to help. I know where she lives, I used to visit with my father to her manor when I was little."

"Very well, then. We should seek her out as soon as possible."

"I agree. We will leave tomorrow."

Manuel shifted uncomfortably as if he wanted more of a reason to stay, but he couldn't find one and finally said, "Well, I'll leave you to yourselves. Good night."

Yunara didn't respond as he left and closed the door.

Kailu seemed to be tired, and was already getting ready for bed. Yunara realised she was feeling tired, herself. So she changed into her night clothes and went to sleep.

The next day, they all prepared everything they needed to leave. Just like before, Manuel led the carriage as they drove on their way to Málaga.

When they arrived to the city, Yunara became more and more impressed by Spanish architecture. The warm coloured buildings were enchanting. The sun bore down on them relentlessly, with not a cloud in the sky for relief. Málaga was a port town, and the coastline was brimming with ships and glimmering sea water, sea gulls crying in the distance. The silence in the carriage was monotone. Manuel and Yunara weren't speaking, and Kailu looked off out of the window, seeming like she didn't want to be bothered.

When they arrived to the door of Lady Lucia, they were greeted by her butler, a distinguished older man that looked to have a lot of energy for his age. After an exchange with Manuel in Spanish, the butler let them into the impressive inside of the beautiful and elegant masia. Manuel explained that the butler assured him that Lady Lucia was at home, and that she would see them in a moment.

They waited for her in a parlor with brightly painted walls and arched entryways. The tile on the floor was a warm terracotta that went with the dark wood furniture throughout the home. On the wall was a huge painting of women dancing with long and ruffly skirts that had Yunara captivated.

Then Lucia came into the room. She was a beautiful woman whose face had an ageless quality, the streaks of white hairs in her head and crows feet at her eyes the only indication of any aging in her face. Her black wavy hair was pulled into a bun, and her skin was a golden tan, her smile as welcoming and inviting as her home. She greeted Manuel with the custom two kisses on each cheek, admiring him like a mother would a son. Yunara couldn't understand what she was saying, but she spoke with a lot of expression in her voice and her gestures.

Once Kailu noticed that Yunara didn't understand what they were saying, she translated their exchange in a low voice as not to interrupt them.

"Manuel! What a surprise to see you after so many years. You've grown so much, I barely recognize you! But you're just as handsome as always. Oh, but how have you been? What brings you here with these young ladies?"

Manuel looked like he wasn't sure about what he was about to say, as if he wasn't convinced that she knew about any of the things described in his father's diary. Finally, he said, "Actually, I came because I need your help with something, and I understand that you are the woman that can help us."

She cocked her head slightly in confusion and a little of concern. "What do you mean by that? Is there something wrong?"

"I know where my mother is really from," Manuel said after a moment of hesitation.

Lucia raised an eyebrow and a twinkle lit in her black eyes, as if the words Manuel spoke were a secret password. A small smile spread across her face as she turned to Yunara and Kailu. "I was wondering why you were in the company of two Naiads. Come, we have much to discuss."

~~

I bet you weren't expecting that!

So how do you think Lucia will be able to help them, if she can at all?

If you liked what you read, why not drop a vote down? And while you're at it, tell me what you think in the comments!