The Golden Ram

The air was stifling with the potent smell of spiced cigars, a renowned favorite of the Lords of the Elven countries, especially in Gaiza. Though they stood in a huge tent, the plush red walls gave a stuffy feeling that made Yunara feel even more closed in as the smell of spice forced itself up her nose every time a smoking patron walked by. Or perhaps it was the fact that she was wearing more money than she'd ever seen in her life, and what she carried in her bag was so heavy she had trouble carrying it.

Oh, and the fact that she was going to gamble it all away.

She knew this was the best way to get to know the nobility of Gaiza, especially if they drew attention as big spenders. The doctor informed them that this was the most exclusive gentlemen's club in the city. It was called the Golden Ram; apparently rams were a symbol of prosperity here in the Elven countries. But she still couldn't help imagining how much money she held in her bag and how wasteful this was.

The Golden Ram was invitation only, and Luca had to do a lot of talking down to the doctor for him to finally admit that he had a patient that attended the club. It took a little bribing, but they eventually got him to solicit an invitation from his patient, a favor the patient was only willing to do because of how austere they seemed based on the doctor's word. Yunara figured that Luca buying his practice and turning it into an inn probably made an impression.

She decided that if she ever became rich, she would do a terrible job of it. She just wouldn't be able to bring herself to live like this, always spending an huge amount on silly things. Just this dress alone cost them more than she'd ever spent in a year. And what's more, with all of this ludicracy, she wasn't sure how much more of Luca's stolen goods they had to spend. But when they left Luca in his room that morning, he assured them not to worry about it.

"Most of these pretentious snobs live up to their waists in debt," he'd said that morning. "Spending every last dime we have is most accurate way to play our role. Isn't that right, Manuel?"

Manuel simply rolled his eyes and informed them that the carriage was waiting to take them into the city and purchase the dresses they would wear for that evening.

That was the other lesson in being wealthy Yunara learned. That rich people put all of their expensive purchases on their credit, which they rarely ever paid in full. The dresses she and Kailu wore were the most delicate velvet dresses she'd ever seen, handwoven to suit the fashion of Crilian women right there in the store as the seamstresses sewed the fabric to their forms. It had been ages since she'd seen women dressed like she did now, with a silver sash across her bare shoulders to compliment the deep rouge of the dress she wore, golden ornaments adorning the intricate braid pattern that was put in her hair. The cost of all of which would be put on the imaginary credit they never intended upon paying.

"Where should we start?" Yunara asked Kailu and Manuel. Youssef didn't come with them so he could tend to Luca. Now that the doctor was looking for a new building for his practice, Youssef was the only one left to take care of him, not to mention to keep the doctor from getting too close to Luca and notice the lack of wings on his back. All the while Luca was still interviewing potential servants the doctor recommended. Of whom would also be paid on their credit. If Yunara didn't feel so out of her own character, she might have laughed at the situation.

Kailu didn't seem to have any problems with her role. She adjusted one of the gaudy rings on her finger, the flashing it causing Yunara temporarily blinding. "Wherever there are the most men gambling and the most money being bet. We have to attract as much attention as possible, right?"

Manuel pointed at a table that fit that very description, a crowd of men dressed in exquisite Elven style wraps groaning and cursing as several of them threw down money in frustration and others hooted in victory. Some of them walked away, but a lot of them stayed, all of the commotion attracting others to try their luck.