Chapter 31 ~ A Monthly Check Up

Isabella blinked, breathing a little deep than usual and stared at the ceiling of the hospital

Isabella blinked, breathing a little deep than usual and stared at the ceiling of the hospital. It was clean as usual and looked a bright shade of white, a stark contrast to the one where she'll go when she was a child whenever she felt sick. Even the air is different, very expensive-like and she was getting used to this change month by month.

On her right side, Zaid sat on the stool provided and held her hand between his firm ones while on the left side doctor Alana was applying the lubricating jelly on her stomach to prevent friction. It was cold but the warmth traveling through her body from her husband's gentle eyes made her feel relaxed instead.

"Are you feeling any pain right now?" She asked.

"No."

"Are you ready Isabella?" She asked, her accent making her name sounds exotic though it's a pretty regular one.

"Yes doctor, I'm absolutely good."

She breathed in and out, feeling the transducer moving against her belly where it studies and captured the images of her child in development. Usually it was the male sonographer who does this job on her check-ups due to which Zaid is tagging along but today he was absent. His grins were unstoppable. Somehow she can't help but wonder if her husband has a hand in this.

"How's the baby Doctor?" He asked.

"Healthy, the eyelids will be opened soon, it will respond to loud noises and also be able to taste what you're eating Isabella so keep eating more greens and less junk," she teased, causing Isabella to smile as she had chocolate craving for five days resulting into tooth aches. She was worried and disturbed her doctor quite a lot during those days.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure of it," Zaid responded.

"That's the spirit Mr. Tahir."

Once the exam is completed, they were guided into another room where Zaid insisted on helping her changing into her clothes.

"I can do it by myself," she said, eyes widening at her husband's stubbornness and childishness.

"And miss an opportunity watching you strip, never."

"We are in a hospital Mr. Tahir. This is not your home," she said, smacking his bicep lightly and earning a nose rub in return. He sat down on his knees, hugging her waist and placed his head lightly on her naked belly.

"Zaid, you can do this at home as well," she whispered, a smile never leaving her face.

"Sshh let me listen. It's peaceful, a moment much needed in our life."

Isabella let out a sigh, letting him absorbed the positivity of this cherished instant. Then, they continued teasing each other for quite a few seconds and walked to the doctor's office. Zaid pulled the chair for her, behaving like a gentleman. Even Doctor Alana smiled at his gestures.

"That went well and we'll schedule a meeting next week to discuss and review the findings, is that all right?"

"Yes doctor."

"Now Isabella you mentioned backaches and dizziness to me. It's completely normal, nothing to worry and we have the solutions as well. Keep doing your light exercises, daily walk, drinks lots of water, take warm bath and your prescribed medications for the pain and you have any issue, do not hesitate to call. See you next week."

"Thank you so much and you know I'll never hesitate. I'm a quite bold person," said Isabella, feeling collected despite her famous husband sitting beside her.

Even though Isabella was able to walk, Zaid insisted they kept their pace slow and his hand remained at her waist. His sweet simple gestures made butterflies flew inside of her but she didn't let it show on her face.

It was only for the sake of the child that they were talking, laughing and living a normal life or else that night where that unwanted conversation took place, they almost became strangers living under the same roof if Saeed didn't act responsibly. Credit pretty much goes to the guy because he didn't want to see them separated because of a sad past. He keeps talking senses into Zaid's brain and advised Isabella on what words to use and avoid in her husband's presence. It worked out successfully.

Wearing the seatbelt, Isabella turned to Zaid. "Where are we eating? I'm hungry."

"Jazzay Hotel, I had the chefs prepared your recent favorites." He winked.

"You mean the veggies? Just few months more and I'll eat whatever I want."

"Me too," he added.

He could have eaten anything he wanted but because of her strict meal plans, he is following them too. It's like he wanted to be included in everything now. Isabella looked at the city goes by, remembering how he reacted when she announced her pregnancy. But now it was the opposite. She truly hoped that even after their baby will be born, he'll continue giving her the same amount of time and love.

"Isa I was thinking that we never really had a party or a treat, inviting people to celebrate our wedding or anything. What if we plan one, like a baby shower, where we tell everyone we are expecting?"

He was so out of character that Isabella could only stare with opened mouth and widened eyes.

"A baby shower"

"Yes, we'll invite the rich and important people. After all, the once famous bachelor of the town is becoming a father. Everyone should know. It will be in your honor and everyone can finally see and meet Mrs. Tahir officially. You'll only be the pregnant wife of a rich hotelier, no bloodshed, no mafia, no drug dealing and no underworld. Just us, behaving like a rich couple, what do you think?"

She drew a sharp breath, becoming speechless. What does she think? One day or not she'll have to come to the public as Mrs. Zaid Tahir. This is the dream of almost every city girl when Zaid was still a young famous bachelor. It's no doubt she'll feel happy and somehow proud like rubbing in those girls' faces. I didn't just marry him, I knocked him up too. The thought made her laugh as she throws her head backwards against the headrest. She started laughing like a maniac, touching her stomach lightly.

"Are you okay?" He asked, taking his eyes off the road for a second.

"Yes, let me breathe properly first," she managed to say without choking on her own laughter. "Of course and I think it's a genius plan. Maybe this could be the right time for our faces to come in the newspaper and magazines. I like it, let's invite everyone."

Zaid looked impressed or maybe he is only trying to catch up with his wife's mood swings.

"Great, well I already have my clients, socialites, business acquaintances; people who I'll invite. Do you have anyone on your side because I'll even get cards print, I will do it in a very classy way."

"Hiba I guess, she's my only friend and Toni, but I don't know if his family will come or not."

"They are already in my list of guests, he is my partner in crime; do you have anyone else in mind?"

"Doctor Alana maybe and oh, how could I forget? My mother's family, the arrogant Azad, make sure they are on top of that list because I want to see their faces when you'll introduce me to the world as your pregnant wife."

"So you want to rub it on their face, that's why you were laughing." He smirked, quickly glancing at her lit face before turning his eyes back on the road.

"Duh"

"As you wish, my love," he replied.