36 3 3

preston

it has been three weeks since the hospital visit, and he's been making rapid recovery with vivian by his side.

he wakes up at six a.m. on august 30th, rolling his neck to get rid of the pins and needles. he's about to lean over in the bed to give his girlfriend a good morning kiss, when he realizes that she isn't there.

"viv?" he calls out, grabbing a pair of shorts and shoving them on. walking out to the kitchen, he finds her, putting strawberries on top of whipped cream with waffles.

"hello sunshine," he murmurs into her ear, arms around her waist. "what're you up to this early?"

she smacks his hands away and turns to face him, lips quirked up to show her dimples. "happy birthday!"

"wait, what? oh..."

"i can't believe you forgot," she raises an eyebrow and hands him his breakfast, along with a glass of chocolate milk.

"chocolate milk?" now it's his turn to raise an eyebrow.

she crosses her arms and flares playfully. "it's a tradition on my family— chocolate milk and waffles. now hurry up, you have some presents to open!"

he begins eating, hand holding her warm one. "thank you."

"sh. what would you do with your dad on your birthday?"

he sits back in his chair, recollecting memories of their time together. it hurts so badly that it feels like there's an elephant standing on his chest, but he pushes through it. "we would order two pizzas for each of us, and eat a whole pint of ice cream apiece, and just sit on the couch watching the older godzilla movies."

"cake?"

"if we remembered. usually a brownie cake."

"good, we're going to do all of that," she smiles, clapping her hands together with excitement.

this is when preston realizes that he is completely and totally in love with her.