31 4 1

fiona

she pushes the "mac and cheese" around on her plate, staring off into space until she hears a soft noise right next to her.

"ah, so you're one of those skinny bitches?" a redheaded woman asks, a year or two older than her. her brown eyes flick back and forth between fiona and the supervisor, mumbling quietly. "you have to eat."

"i'm not a skinny bitch," fiona replies, shoving a forkful in her mouth. "i eat."

"so you tried to off yourself too?" the stranger sips her milk through a straw.

"whatever."

"well? i want to hear your story."

fiona sighs. "my boyfriend died in an accident, and i was the driver. i hallucinated him in the hospital so my parents thought it would be best if i came here for some treatment so i can jump back into work when i get out."

"schizo," the woman raises an eyebrow, a smile tilting her lips upwards.

"seriously?" fiona scoffs. "i am not a schizophrenic just because i hallucinated him! i was upset, and i had every right to be! i wanted to kill myself in the hospital, apparently tried to overdose on morphine—"

"sh," she places a hand on the darker girl's mouth. "you're talking too loudly. the supervisors will hear and up your dosage of prozac."

fiona's shoulders slump and she nods, signaling that the woman can let go of her mouth.

"i'm laura."

"fiona."

"believe it or not," laura winks and shovels mashed potatoes into her mouth. "i'm trying to help you."

huh. maybe fiona will end up making friends after all.