05 Burn

Ace's POV_

After the heavy workout, I practically collapsed on the bench. Because of all the drama recently with my mate and the conferences and whatnot, I had just worked out harder than I had in a long time. While we only work out for four hours, I still worked hard. Jaxon smirks when he walks over to me, handing me a water bottle. I nod to him in thanks, grabbing the water bottle and chugging it. Taking deep breaths, I put my hand on my forehead.

"Bro, that was the hardest you've gone in years. You really had to let off some steam, eh?" Laughing, I nod. Jaxon nods in agreement and sits down on the bench next to me, taking a sip of his cold water.

"Yeah. Because of recent events, the elements have been driving me crazy." Putting my hand up, I make the pads of my thumb and pointer finger face each other so they're just barely touching. "I was this close to burning her skin off." I sigh, thinking sadly to myself. "I almost burned my mate."

"Do you know why the elements came out at that time?" He asks, tilting his head as he looked at me.

"I was excited..." I mutter under my breath, rubbing my temples.

"Ah, I see." He grins, nodding understandingly. "I see how that would work."

"I just don't want to hurt her. Nor do I want to hurt Lilian. I'm just so confused." I sigh, showing all my stress to my own best friend. Jaxon slinks his arm over my shoulder in encouragement.

"Think of it like this. Which is the one that really makes you happy? I'm not telling you what to do or anything but this is only my opinion." I nod for him to continue. "Skylar was made for you. Don't you think there's a reason for why she's your mate? The Moon Goddess has always had a reasoning for everything that happens. Who knows, your mate could help you with your elements. But I see no reason for you to be with Lillian. While yes, she was there for you in the past, that never means she'll be with you in the future. You've seen human relationships. All human relationships -with a few exceptions- break off at some point or another. When you lose your mate, you become a human in that one little way. You can date whoever. Mates are forever. Human relationships are temporary."

Breathing, he continues.

"You see what I'm getting at? You and Skylar are mates- mates are forever. But since Lillian's mate died, she can be with whoever. That means she can break ties with whoever at any given time. Relationships like that are just always temporary. You break up at some point in time. Lillian isn't your soulmate- Skylar is. There's a lot of Lillians out there. But there's only one Skylar. You reject Skylar, you reject your potential and future. Lives like those are not the kinds anyone should have. Those puny humans are jealous. Because unlike them, you can have something forever. You have someone you can dedicate yourself to. They don't."

Looking up at me with sympathy, he nods. "You get it?"

Finally reaching his eyes, I nod. "Yeah." Grinning, I continue. "You know, it should be illegal for someone your age to be so wise."

"It's a blessing and both a curse." Jaxon shrugs. We grin at each other.

You see, that's why he's my best friend.

"We should really head off until it hits midnight. It wouldn't be good if we don't get sleep for the conference." Jaxon gives me a pointed less, arching his eyebrow.

"Yeah, I guess."

Skylar's POV_

I sit there on my bed, frowning. As I sit there in my sports bra and black sweatpants, confusion dances in my eyes. Twisting my body, I look down at a burn on my lower back. Lightly touching it, the burn erupts in aches. Accidentally, I let out a whimper.

Bending Ace [✔]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara