Praise and Forgiveness

I woke the next morning to a knock on my door. "Come in..." I yawned as I sat up. Chris came in as I stretched in bed. 

"Good morning beautiful, how did you sleep?"

"Oh wonderfully. I had the best dreams."

"Anything you care to share?" He smirked. I smirked as well, denying him the knowledge of my very sweet dreams.

"Damn, okay, ill have to guess then..." I punched him playfully in the arm. "How would you like to have a date night?"

"Hmm, let me check my schedule... Hmm, can't do that, I have another date tonight..." I laugh and pull him to a seated position on my bed. 

"Oh, okay, then I guess I can call up girlfriend number two..."

I punch him in the arm and smirk. "You know what I want?"

He played dumb. "Hmm, what would that be?"

"Surprise me..." 

He leaned in and kissed me sweetly. "Was that to your satisfaction?"

"Yes." I smile and get out of bed. I kiss him one more time and kick him out of the room so I can get ready for the day. "Pick me up at seven." I close the door. 

I had just finished getting dressed and started brushing through my long hair when I heard a knock on the door. 

"Yes?"

Dad opens the door, and I see him standing there with the boys. Tate was crying, Bo was trying his best not to cry, and dad had a scared look on his face. "Take the boys to the park and for ice cream. I have to go to the hospital..."

I sit the boys on my bed for a moment, and bring dad into the hallway. "Dad, what is it?"

"It's Caroline... The hospital called... She was in a car crash..."

"Oh my God, dad, Go, quick, I'll take care of the boys..."

"Thank you honey. Listen, I know you don't like her, but pray for her, please..."

"Dad, I promise, I'll pray, and me and the boys will make get well cards too... It'll keep them busy."

"Okay. Thank you. I got to go."

I grab him and pull him in for a hug. "Dad, it'll be okay..." He sheds a tear but wipes it away. "Now, go. We'll be fine."

"I'm so glad you're in my life now sweetie. I love you. Got to go now." He runs out the front door and barely gets his belt on before pulling out the drive. 

I walk as calmly as possible into my room where Tate is still sobbing heavily. Bo had a better understanding of the fact that she may be okay after this. "Bo, Tate, listen. I know how hard this is... Remember when I moved in? I was hurt... My mommy, she died that day... But your mommy could still be okay... Let's pray..." I take their hands in mine and begin a prayer. "Dear Lord, please, help my brothers in this time of hardship to bring them hope, hope that their mom will be okay. Help Caroline to get better soon, and help her to be in her sons lives again..."

"Amen." We all say this in synch. It's like the word helped us to have hope. God must be with us today more than ever. 

We were making get well soon cards when I heard my phone buzz. I get up and walk to the other room. "Dad, what is it?"

I heard a quiet sob in his voice. "She didn't make it... Massive bleeding of the brain took her away..."

"Dad, come home... I'll tell the boys if you want me to..."

"Tell them. Please, and tell them daddy will be home in an hour."

"Dad, I'm so sorry..." I felt so bad for dad. I knew how much he loved her. He said a few words filled with sadness and confusion before we hung up the phone. Now to tell the boys...

I walk slowly into the living room. I kneel on the floor before I speak these dreaded words. "Can we go give the cards to mommy now?" Tate asks me.

"Why do you look sad" Bo asks, knowing what I'm about to say.

"Tate, Bo... I'm so sorry... Mommy is gone, she didn't make it..." I even shed a few tears. 

Tate jumps up and runs for the door. "You're lying! My mommy is fine!" 

"Tate NO! Come back here, please!" I yell in hopes he would listen. Bo attempts to run after him, but I stop him. "Bo, don't worry, I'm gonna call uncle Chris, he'll be able to find Tate." He nods and sits down, and he cries. 

"Hey beautiful. What's up?"I hear the smile in his voice fade as I speak. 

"I'm so worried about Tate right now. Please, Chris, just find him..." They hang up,Bo is still crying. "Hey Bo, it's gonna be okay. Let's cook a nice dinner for when uncle Chris finds Tate and when daddy comes home?" 

They cook a nice dinner, pork chops, greens, and mashed potatoes with sweet iced tea. Two hours had passed when the door opens. Chris came in with Tate. I run to Tate and hold him. I cry. Luke walks over. 

"Tate what were you thinking?! Do you know how bad you scared your sister?!"

"Tate... Look at me..." I sob. "Don't you EVER do that again!" He cries, and I hold him close as I try to collect myself.