Chapter Five.

5:

My next lesson was Religious studies, everyone had to get into groups and prepare a debate about How Catholics respond to unanswered prayers' I scoffed because I'd already covered this in England we were now on Causation, about what caused the universe, Eric got into a group with his friends and invited me with him, in our group there was Eric, me, Angela and Jessica, they were very nice and welcoming. They gave me a piece of lined paper and told me to write a quick speech.

'Make it unique, so you'll get a good grade' Angela beamed. 'We'll practice while you're writing' I nodded appreciatively and busied myself by scribbling all over the paper, scribbling words that just popped up randomly in my head, Jessica said It had to be a page long, so far it was half a page.

By the time I'd finished, it was time to show the class your speeches. Angela went up and discussed strong points and gave them reasons, I looked at the teacher who was jotting something down on a clip board and looking up at Angela every five or ten seconds to nod slowly.

Up next was Jessica, whose speech was full of rhetorical questions like 'How would you like it if you had the job of God?-what do you think it's like to be in control of the whole universe?' I sighed but smiled and clapped for her supportively knowing the highest grade she'd get was about a C or a B if she's lucky. Then it was Eric, his speech was full of comedy to keep the class alive and enthusiastic but like Angela he also had strong points and arguments. I clapped and smiled at him as he returned to his seat.

'Okay, Adrienne Carter...you're up next' The teacher announced, darting her eyes over to me, the whole class shifted in their seats to look at me, I stood up and walked over to the podium, the class watching my every move like I was a bomb about to go off.

I spread my paper out on the podium and tucked my hair behind my ears, I kept my head down and looked at them from the corner of my eye, they were all leaning forward, licking their lips in anticipation like they were waiting for me to trip, or for me to wet myself out of anxiousness...I was almost there.

'Hi...I'm Adrienne' I smiled, goofily; the class mumbled a response and returned to silence again.

'Most Catholics believe that God answers all prayers and that what seems to be unanswered prayers can be explained by the following: If you pray for selfish things, like God allowing you to pass an exam without you doing any studying, God will probably let you fail so that you work hard next time.' I paused to look around the room; the class seemed interested, the teachers looked impressed.

I lowered my head again and continued. 'Your prayer might not be answered in the way you expect it to be answered because God has different plans, for example he may want an ill person to enter heaven. Just like our normal parents, God may answers our prayers by giving us what we need and not what we've asked for, like if you ask for a car your parents will call you a taxi or something' The class giggled and returned to silence again, a rush of relief blew over me.

'Catholics believe that God loves people and so they believe that God's love will answer their prayers in the best possible way, even though it may not look like a direct answer to you, Catholics have faith that God will answer all prayers in the best way for the person who's praying, or the people prayed for, even if it is different from what they expected.' I finished with a smile and a small nod to show I was grateful for their mock standing ovation.

I returned to my seat, Eric and the others looked at me with astonished looks on their faces. 'I did bad, didn't I?' I said, feeling uncomfortable at their stares.

'No, you were cool!' Jessica exclaimed. 'I bet you're gonna get like a distinction or something' I laughed, a distinction eh? I like the sound of that.

'Thanks, you lot are awesome for helping me' I smiled. They replied their welcomes and we left the room when the bell rang. 'It's lunch time, right?' I asked, looking at my new friends.

'Nope...well, not for you, the newbies go home at twelve, it's like a taster-half day thing' Eric explained, showing me to the office like he did this morning, they day went quicker than I thought, Eric showed me to the office and I signed out feeling relieved that the day was over and sad that it went so quick.

'Oh, well, thanks for having me, I enjoyed myself. I'll see you on Monday' I smiled, waving.

'Wait!-aren't you coming tomorrow on Friday?' Angela asked. I shook my head, Friday was the day I'd practice my powers, tomorrow I was going to push my limits and use fire, I needed to learn how to use that. My mum hates it when I use it because I always returned with scalded palms, so she'd make me go out with a bucket of water but it was never enough, the fire would just evaporate it.

'No...uh, it's a tradition thing' I looked at Eric and Jessica who didn't look convinced, they better not think I'm bunking off, because I'm kind of not... 'In England' I added.

The moment I mention England they made 'oh' sounds as if they got what I was talking about.

'Oh, Okay, Well enjoy your English Tradition' Eric smiled, hugging me, I hugged the rest of them and as they walked away I heard Eric mumble. 'Damn, I wish I was English'

I smiled to myself and made my way out the entrance, I stood on the top of the steps because it was easier to search for my truck that way, I looked around, there was two trucks like mine...Great! I went to the closest one, and pushed the key in

The key hole, Jacob mentioned I had to jimmy the key around a bit, because the locks a bit dodgy I was beginning to think Jacob stole the truck.

'Excuse me, that's my truck' a voice, startled me. I turned around to see the girl and boy that had been staring at me all day.

'Sorry, I have one just like this and thought it was mine...mine is probably the one way over there' I smiled nervously, jerking my thumb over to the other orange parked up truck. The girl slowly nodded and looked up at her boyfriend who was staring at me as if he was trying to figure me out.

I mumbled a good-bye, and stepped past the boy his arm brushing against mine I felt an ice cold, numbing feeling appear in my left arm that touched him, but went away the moment I reached my car...maybe he's got hyperthermia or something.

I started the truck and it made the growling sound that it made this morning.

'Bloody liar...that blasted thing is still growling' I mumbled under my breath, Jacob told me that the growling thing would only happen once.

I reversed out the parking spot and drove slowly out of the parking lot towards the exit, the road was a bit slippery-good thing I wore the converses, eh?-I speeded, down the highway towards the reservation, this truck doesn't really go that fast, so I slowed down a bit, I didn't want to over work the thing before it gave out on me.

I switched on the radio, The Script's song called 'The Man That Can't Be Moved', their an Irish band from Dublin, I didn't think the US would even have these kinds of songs on here, anyways, I sung along trying my best to keep my voice in tune with the song.

''Coz if one day you wake up and find that you're missing me, and your heart starts to wonder where on this earth I could be, thinking maybe you'll come back to here the place that we meet and you'll see me waiting for you on the corner of the street, so I'm not moving, I'm not moving, I'm moving!' I sung.

I must've blinked for a really long time because something dashed across the road before I could even get a proper look at it, it rushed into the woods on the other side of the road, and I almost hit it so I swerved causing the back of the truck to hit a tree.

I revved the engine and tried to get out the grassy area before a police car drove by and sent me 'down town', Some thing rustled in the bush, I screamed, the thing was huge it wasn't nothing like a bear it had reddish-brown fur and dog like features only bigger, it's eyes were black and beady and were looking at me as if it had some kind of human recognition, I screamed even louder and ran out the car. I ran as fast I could, my house was a few minutes away, I'm sure I'd make it in time before I collapse.