Chapter 3

Recap:

‘That’s when I decide to sniff the air to get used to the new environment. Bad choice. The smell leads to Makenzie. Hunter. Shit.’

Chapter 3

 ~ Cleo’s Pov ~

I eye Makenzie and look her up and down. I look her over to check if she is a threat. She doesn’t seem to notice which is unusual. She should be on guard. Be attentive. Be aware of your surroundings. But Makenzie is slouching. Her shoulders are relaxed and she is fidgeting with her sleeve. She doesn’t look like a trained hunter to me. And her blood smells like she is a level 6 hunter. She should be brought up to hate me.  She looks at me like I’m just another kid round the block. Why? Maybe this is part of her disguise before she goes in for the kill.

After lunch we went to our lockers. ‘’Makenzie can you come to the loo with me?’’ I ask her.

‘’Umm… yea sure’’ she replies. I’m sure surprise is written all over my face when she agrees. She should have been told to never be in a small space with the ‘enemy.’

As we go into the toilets I thank G-d that no one else is in here. I swiftly pivot on my toes and face her. I look deeply into her eyes. ‘’What am I’’ I ask as I hypnotise her.

‘’I don’t understand? A girl?’’ She replies in a monotonous voice.

I laugh at this. It is obvious she doesn’t know what I am. There is no way she can lie to me when I am hypnotising her. This makes me wonder why she doesn’t know. She should especially when she is a level 6 hunter.

‘’You don’t remember this conversation. All I did was go to the loo and you redid your make up.’’ I snapped my fingers and she awoke from her hypnotised state.

We walk out of the toilets and start walking to science. Oddly enough, Faith, Alana and Jerri all have science with me.

~ Mackenzie’s Pov ~

Ever since she came into my sights, I have this strange feeling about this girl. I can’t help but resent her. It is like I shouldn’t get along with her. I have no idea why this is happening. Maybe I’m stressed or confused. I don’t like this feeling. Why don’t I want to get along with Cleo?

~

After lunch we went to our lockers. ‘’Makenzie can you come to the loo with me?’’ Cleo asks me.

‘’Umm… yea sure’’ I reply. She looks surprised when I agree. Even a bit confused. When we go into the loo block, Cleo pivots on her foot and looks right at me. I feel hazy and weak. I release my muscles and slump a bit. I look into her eyes as she does the same with mine. I can’t let go of her hold on me. She is controlling me and I can’t even look sideways. It feels like she is looking into my soul.

‘’What am I’’ She asks.

‘’I don’t understand? A girl?’’ I reply in a monotonous voice. I can’t even speak with emotion.

She laughs at this. But it then looks like she is thinking carefully.

‘’You don’t remember this conversation. All I did was go to the loo and you redid your make-up.’’ She snaps her fingers and I become alive once more.

But I don’t know why I was not alive. I’m confused. I redid my make-up and washed my hands. Nothing else happened. I don’t really remember. What happened? This is so confusing.

I follow Cleo out of the toilets and start walking to science. Faith, Alana and Jerri all have science with Cleo whilst I am by myself in the classroom opposite.

~ Cleo’s Pov ~

I hear the click clack of heels. I look up from my conversation with Jerri to see a total slut.

She had straightened brown hair that was bleached brown at the ends. Her boobs were pushed up so much that if you pushed them up any more, they would touch her chin. Her face was caked with make-up she wore a skirt that was shorter than a belt. She screamed FAKE.

She looks me over before sticking her nose up in the air, walked over to me and like all mean bitches, had a string of wannabes trundling along behind her.

‘’Oi! Yes you! Now look here you bitch! I run this school. Not you. Stay away from my boyfriend.’’ She said in a high pitched squeaky voice. The only words I could describe it with are nails, chalkboard, ouch.

‘’Three things. Who are you, who are you talking about and why should I care?’’ I question.

‘’I’m Roxy,’’ she flicks her hair, ‘’and I am talking about Brodie! You crushed his phone remember! You will be paying for that you know!’’

‘’Yea, I don’t like him trust me. And you’re a couple made in heaven don’t worry. You’re both complete and utter morons. And that wasn’t my fault that he asked for MY phone number. You might want to keep your ‘boyfriend’ in check’’ I say smirking.

‘’Look here you bitch. I don’t want to start a fight because things are going to get ugly!’’ she screeches with her high pitch voice.

‘’By looking at the amount of make up on your face, I would say things already have.’’ I hit back at her. I heard a few ooh’s and I look around to see a crowd had gathered around me and this bitch. I walk away as I know I have won the fight, yet I know the war isn’t over.

As I get to science I get that same smell as before but not as strong. A hunter, but at a lower level. I take a deep, long breath again. Level 2. Easy. Makenzie is a level 6 so she would be harder to take on but level 2 is no problem for me. I am a hybrid after all. It’s just working out who is the hunter.

As we enter the classroom the stench of hunter gets worse. The lower level hunters smell disgusting whereas the higher level hunters smell wonderful and are meant to taste amazing. I for one have never tried them as they are the cleverest and most conniving out of all of them. When I was younger I wasn’t as experienced and I was still scared that my fake parents were still after me.

After we locked eyes I knew she was the one. I held my gaze until she backed down. Just as I thought. Weak. I don’t like to be challenged. I looked her over. She had pale cream skin and light brown hair that came down to her shoulders. She looked like she was in her early 20's so she can't be that experienced. She was skinny yet probably agile. She could be fast, but I was faster. I could she her intake a sharp breath to see if I was human or not. She looks confused when she gets nothing. I thank my Dad for the ring he gave me. It just looks like a present as well so it is well disguised.

She calls herself Miss Pateman. The Pateman’s are well-known for being remarkably ingenious when it comes to hunting supernaturals, despite only being level 2. No wonder there are no other supernaturals in the school. They had to be stupid to go to the same school as a hunter that is also your teacher. This means that the ‘midnight murderer’ isn’t at this school.

As I sat through her class I wondered what other hunters there are in this area. The Pateman’s don’t work alone. There has to be another. I just hope that they aren’t a high level hunter.

But knowing the Pateman’s, they probably are. Double shit.

Please comment and vote!

xx