Chapter 13

Hansen enjoyed his time in Hawai'i. Throughout the rest of his stay on O'ahu, Jim took him around the island, along with going to BBQs with his family, and coming over for a simple dinner. Jim kept trying to convince Hansen that he should take the job and live in Hawai'i. He even offered to let Hansen stay at his place in the guest room, until he could find a place to live.

Hansen wouldn't admit it, but he was coming close to saying yes. He thought about the pros and cons. On one hand he would be starting a new life with a fresh start, away from the pain he'd feel seeing Hannah and Phil together. He was still healing from that. The pain wasn't as much as the day he found them together, but it was still there nonetheless. He was sure that if he got home, everyone would be talking about it too. Even the mailman knew about it.

Then again, he would be away from his parents. His father and mother would soon be at an age where they would need someone to take care of them. His mom took care of his dad, but who would take care of his mom if something happened to her. He decided that he would give them a call when he got back to the hotel room. He had three more days before he was supposed to fly back home.

"So what are you going to do?" Jim asked, as he was putting on his diving gear.

Jim and Hansen were going to go scuba diving in Waianae at one of the best scuba diving spots by Jim's house. Hansen met Jim's friend Kawika, and he was nice enough to take them out to sea on his boat. It was quicker by boat to get to the place wanted Hansen and him to dive. Hansen had been diving before many times, because of the many missions he went on, but this was his first time diving in Hawai'i. He was going to enjoy it for sure. Instead of having guns shot at him while he was underwater, trying to sneak his way into enemy territory, he'd be seeing fish underwater.

"I'm still thinking about it," said Hansen, as he spit into his dive mask before putting it on, to prevent it from fogging up underwater.

"What is there to think about? This will be good for you. You have a job, so you won't have to look for one. Nowdays, it's not always easy to get a job here. It's expensive to live here. My family and I are living comfortably, thanks to the military pay and police force pay," Jim replied, as he sat down on the edge of the boat.

"I know. I'll let you know by tomorrow. Okay?" Hansen replied, giving in a bit.

"Great," said Jim, as Kawika stopped the boat and he dove backwards and into the ocean.

Hansen followed right after - he looked around and saw all the beautiful fish and the way the water was the color of turquoise underneath. Jim showed Hansen the beautiful coral, and the colorful reef fish. Hansen got to explore the wrecks, caverns, lava tubes, and even saw dolphins and spotted eagle rays. There was one fish that swam close enough he got to touch it. It was the reef triggerfish. The locals call it a Humuhumunukunu- ku pua a. 

He saw turtles and many more beautiful fish

He saw turtles and many more beautiful fish. He was glad Jim brought him here, because for a brief moment, Hansen forgot all his problems. Looking at the beauty in front of him, he wasn't thinking about the affair or the decision of whether he should live on O'ahu or not. He just enjoyed the moment.