Chapter 30

Before he stepped on the plane to go back to Alabama, Hansen looked at his watch again and it was way past midnight

Before he stepped on the plane to go back to Alabama, Hansen looked at his watch again and it was way past midnight. He knew Thanya was already asleep by now, and he didn't want to wake her, so he decided that he'd just text her, then when she called him in the morning, he'd explain everything to her.

Hansen: "Hey beautiful. Family emergency, so I had to fly back to Alabama. Call me when you wake up, and I'll explain. I love you."

When he landed in Alabama, he took a taxi from the airport straight to the hospital his parents were at. It hurt him to see his father on that hospital bed and dry tears on his mother's face. Hansen looked at his father laying in the hospital bed, and thought about all the times that he and his dad would do fun things together—the time he first went fishing, hunting, and the time he first learned how to drive. That last part didn't go well, but they survived. It hurt him to see his father like this. He and his mother prayed that his father would wake up soon.

"I realized I never asked you yet, but how are you doing, honey?" asked Belle.

They never talked about how he was doing, since he arrived. Both were too busy worrying about when Dan would wake up. Hansen pulled away from Dan and sat down on a chair by Belle. He smiled as he thought about Thanya.

"Great," he said with a happy smile.

"Is it because of a woman?" Belle asked, with a knowing smile.

She was glad to see her son happy again. It hurt her to see how torn up he got, when he found out about the affair Hannah had. Belle never really liked Hannah.

She just had that sense that the girl was someone not to be trusted. It was mother's intuition and she was right. Hansen chuckled and nodded.

"Her name's Thanya. She's great mom. You'd love her," he said with a smile. 

"Oh really?" she asked with her eyebrows raised.

Hansen nodded again, and then proceeded to list the many things that he loved about Thanya. It made Belle happy to see just how happy this woman made her son. She could only hope that Thanya wasn't like Hannah. That instead, she was better than Hannah, would love Hansen and stay faithful to him.

"When am I going to get to meet her?" she asked her son with a smile.

"Soon. I asked her to marry me and she said yes," Hansen said, with a very satisfied tone. He felt on top of the world. He worked hard to knock down her walls and she finally let them down, and let him in. It took a lot of work, but it was all worth it.

She was worth it, Hansen thought to himself.

"When can we meet her?" said Dan.

Hansen and his mother turned to the bed. They were so happy to see Dan awake. Even though he didn't die from the heart attack, the episode came very close to it. Belle sat up and both she and Hansen walked to Dan.