(7.1) 296.64

A/N: Both parts contain medical terminology that may be hard to understand. Please check the in-line comments around them as I've added explanations. If there's a term in here you do not understand, please ask. I will clarify. Please enjoy both parts of this chapter, and let me know what you think. 

Music: K. Flay, So fast So Maybe

February 9th, 2020

*****

The borrowed umbrella did a decent job of keeping her dry under once again steady rainfall. Through the rain, she noticed one of Philadelphia's many street kiosks. The halo around it beckoned to her. Unable to resist the angel's call, she headed over. Her eyes skimmed over the glossy magazine covers, assorted candy, and newspapers declaring the day's headlines. She stopped on the rainbow display of cigarettes. There was her next high; her next rush. Stella paid the sixty-odd dollars for four packs of Newports and one lighter.

She scanned the area, looking for a good place to have her first cigarette in years. She spied an alleyway not to far away, promising shadows to hide in. Stella meandered over, looking at depressing store displays. She casually ducked down the alley, then sprinted to duck behind the dumpster. Her hands shook as she lit a cigarette. The smoke choked her as she inhaled, forcing her to cough. The taste of menthol, nicotine, and life energized her. It carried her far and high. Fluffy white clouds surrounded her, surrounding her with their fluffiness. They felt like cotton candy. She could see the sun and felt its scorching rays burn away her impurities.

Then she exhaled. The smoke left her lungs, leaving her throat raw. Stella was back in the shadow-filled alleyway. She looked at her hand in horror and dropped the umbrella. She dropped the cigarette and stamped it under her foot. Soon, there was nothing left but filler. Stella copied the same with all of the other cigarettes she purchased, mad giggles erupting from her throat as she did so. When she was done, the remaining Newports made a small mountain in front of her. She stamped it into the ground, watching it flatten into nothing.

Her work done, she picked the umbrella back up and put it away. It didn't matter now. Nothing could touch her. She skipped out of the alley, letting the rain wash off her old skin. With fresh eyes, she looked at the store displays again. She ducked into a clothing store, danced through rack after rack of clothing. She grabbed a tulle skirt, held it up against her body, and decided it was perfect. She started to grab shirt after skirt after dress after pants. Stella barely noticed the weight of the various garments as she shopped. 

She spied an accessory wall in the back of the store. The ceiling lights glittered on the display, creating rainbows and waterfalls. Fake diamond dangling earrings glittered like the real thing. They promised her recognition. She added them to her ever-growing pile. 

Stella made her way up to the check out counter. She shifted from foot to foot as she huffed at the cashier. Didn't they know she had things to do? She was an important person. She spied a small book at the checkout and added that to her pile. It was followed by a gift card, which she put $269.64 on. She tried not to giggle at the number; the clerk wouldn't get why it was funny. Besides, Stella couldn't help but feel as if the clerk was envious of her. Stella would look amazing in everything she was buying, she could feel it in her bones. Everyone would fall over themselves, either wanting to be her or do her. She'd have to be careful from now on.

Finally, she paid the clerk all six hundred and forty dollars. She took her credit card back, hastily stuffing it back into her wallet. Laden down with her new acquisitions, she tottered out of the store. She looked around the street, looking for her next high. The stores all seemed to blend into each other, nothing appeared particularly inviting. Her head moved from side to side as she thought about where to go next.