A Simple Letter

Quickly tapping out a text to Li Na, Stella canceled their breakfast plans. The ever so innocent box, which sat on the floor next to her, begged to be open. She nudged it tentatively with her foot, expecting it to do something besides sit there. The rare moment when she caught sight of the box during the night it felt like it was watching her. Its secrets within whispered at her to open them, let them explore the world, to let them swallow her whole.

"Hey, Stella." Alex came into the locker room. "What you up to today?"

She eyed the feminine features of her coworker, who had taken up to leaning against one of the lockers. Stella knew that it was no coincidence that their shirt was threatening to expose their stomach. "Sleeping," she responded as she pulled her eyes away from the lean figure. "Do you want a ride home or something?"

"Did you drive here? I thought you were a walker?" Alex leaned forward with sudden interest.

"I moved." She shrugged. "Do you want it or not?" Stella picked up the box and started to head towards the door.

"Yeah," Alex said as they hurried to catch up. "So, where'd you move to?" they asked as the couple got into the elevator.

"Wynnfield Heights." She frowned at the box. Was it shaking? No, that was her.

"Do you want help with that? It looks heavy?" Alex asked as they picked up on Stella's shaking.

"No!" She flinched at the harshness of her tone. "No," she repeated softer, "I got it."

"Geeze, Stella. What's in that thing? You've been touchy about it all night."

"Nothing important." The box cut into her chest as she held it a little closer.

Alex shook their head in disbelief. "Whatever, tell me when you're ready."

The pair left the hospital with practiced ease before getting into the Jeep. Stella left the package in the back seat, where it taunted her with its silence. "Fuck you too," she said to quietly for Alex to hear her.

Alex fiddled with the radio as Stella settled into the driver's seat. Finally finding a pop station they were satisfied with, Alex leaned back into the seat. "So how was Alaska?" they asked as the Jeep pulled out of the garage.

Remembering the snow-capped mountains, fields of flowers, and complete and utter peace, she smiled. "Absolutely wonderful. How was the hospital?"

"The usual," Alex replied with a shrug. "Did you and that friend of yours do it?"

Stella took the turn a little harder than she meant to. "Why do you keep asking?"

Alex rolled their eyes at the question. "Because no normal friends go to the woods and not hook up."

"And what business of yours is it?"

"Can't a person make conversation?" they snapped back. After a moment's silence, Alex put her hand on top of Stella's. "Look, I'm sorry."

Stella tightened her grip on the gear shift, this was one of the rare moments when she hated having a manual transmission. "No, you're not." She shifted gears as she slowed for the red light.

Alex let out a heavy sigh. "Believe what you want, then." They took their hand back, placing it in their lap.

Occasionally Alex would look over at Stella then open their mouth to say something, before shutting it and steadily looking at the city again. Almost fifteen minutes later, Stella pulled up in front of Alex's apartment building.

"Do you want to come in?" Alex offered as she opened the door.

Looking at Alex, it was hard not to want to. Shortly after Stella started her fellowship, she and Alex had gotten very well acquainted with each other and how to feel good with the other. Going in might give her some welcome relief from the box, once again reminding her of its presence. As she made up her mind, her phone vibrated. "No," she replied checking Keith's good morning text. "I'll see you tonight." She drove away, leaving Alex staring at her in shock.