06 | chapter six

Niklaus Wade

Niklaus Wade

"Mate." My wolf whispers to me.

I begin to piece everything together. The smell, the tingles that erupted within me, the un-doubtable connection that's been buzzing around between Gnashton and I as we stand distances away. The urge to come to him, be in his arms, and drift into complete and utter nothingness. The tranquility that blossomed in my mind was so wholesome, so peaceful and I wanted to divulge in it, to dive into the paradise that the feelings inside me were tempting me to give into but there is no way any of that could actually be a reality. This—this couldn't be happening to me right now.

My heart is racing, my throat dry and my lungs constrict as I freak out and back away while shaking my head widely in disbelief. This can't be happening, this isn't real. All of this could only lead to bad things.

There is no way Gnashton would accept this; accept me. I'm an omega, the weakest type of werewolf created by the Moon Goddess. Gnashton is an Alpha, strong, powerful, dominant and much more deserving of more than just a runt like myself. He would most definitely reject me, the darkness in his eyes looked like want and need but that was my mind making things up to appease how desperate I was for someone, for anyone to love someone like me. It wasn't real. None of it was real.

Without a doubt Gnashton is going to reject me like I was nothing. Sure, he didn't hurt me like he did others but that didn't mean he would want to accept me as his mate, as his life long partner. He didn't want to be with anyone to begin with, he had loner tendencies and didn't express any type of wish to be with anyone so not only will he hate the idea of me being his mate but he'll also loathe the idea of his mate being someone who's weak and incapable of even protecting themself.

I don't know why he didn't reject me before to get it out of the way when he discovered that I was his mate when he turned eighteen two years ago. It would've broken me then but him doing it now would break my heart into further pieces and hurt far more now than it would have if he had done it before but maybe that's he wanted to do to me. To hurt me beyond what's already left of me. My bottom lip trembles as a whimper bubbles inside me and past my thin lips to which, Gnashton eyes return to their original green ones but I see the unexplainable emotion of worry in them as he takes a step towards me.

Besides Gnashton's rejection that was to come, my adoptive parents could hate this. They probably wouldn't hate the fact that my mate is male but they'll probably be so disgusted once they find out that one of their adopted sons is mated to their other adopted son. The look of disgust and hate on Elijah and Elliot's faces flash through my mind and my body recoils on its own. They'll hate me, they'll treat me like—like my birth parents.

Hazel. Hazel would never accept this. She'll hate the fact that my mate is technically my brother and Gnashton. I'd lose the one person I could 'talk' and partially open up to.

The look on Gnashtons face rips me apart. A look of concern I've never seen before appeared on his face, urging me to come closer, to become dependent on him. To trust.