Chapter Fifteen

The Company is resting in the cave; all the Dwarves are asleep. Bilbo, only pretends to be asleep, stealthily opens his eyes and looks around. 

Seeing that no one is watching, he quietly rolls up his blankets and packs his things. Grabbing his walking stick, he starts to leave the cave, tiptoeing over the sleeping Dwarves. Bofur, who is standing watch, see's Bilbo trying to leave. 

He jumps up and tries to stop him. They whisper so as not to wake the others. "Where do you think you're going?" asks Bofor. "Back to Rivendell." Bilbo answers. "No, no, you can't turn back now, you're part of the Company. You're one of us." says Bofor. 

"I'm not though, am I? Thorin said I should never have come, and he was right. I'm not a Took, I'm a Baggins, I don't know what I was thinking. I should never have run out my door." says Bilbo. Victoria, who is awake, stares thoughtfully at the wall as she listens. 

"You're homesick; I understand." says Bofor. "No, you don't, you don't understand! None of you do ­ you're dwarves. Your used to this life. Even Victoria, she's a mystery to all of us yet she fits in here, to living on the road, never settling in one place, not belonging anywhere." says Bilbo.

 Bofur looks offended, and Bilbo is repentant. "I am sorry, I didn't..." says Bilbo. Victoria listens on. "No, you're right. We don't belong anywhere. I wish you all the luck in the world. I really do." says Bofor. 

He smiles and places his hand on Bilbo's shoulder; Bilbo soon turns and begins to walk away. "What's that?" asks Bofor. Victoria turns towards them and see's the rim of Bilbo's sword is glowing. "Goblins.." she whispered. "Wake up. Wake up!" Thorin yells.