Chapter Twenty Three

The Eagles soar through the sky over a great distance and over many landscapes. Thorin lies unconscious in one Eagle's talons; the others worry about him. "Thorin!" yells Fili. "Oh, Thorin." Victoria sighs. 

The Eagles approach a massive rock structure shaped like a bear; it is the Carrock. The Eagle carrying Thorin gently deposits him and his sword on a flat area on top of the Carrock. Another Eagle lands on the Carrock and Gandalf slides off its neck, running toward the unconscious Thorin, Victoria right behind him. 

"Thorin! Thorin." says Gandalf. Thorin is not responding. Bilbo runs up. Gandalf places his hand on Thorin's face and whispers a spell. Thorin's eyes flutter open and he gasps for air. He speaks weakly. "The halfling?" he says. 

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe." says Gandalf. By now, the other Dwarves have all been landed on the Carrock, and they surround the wounded Thorin. Dwalin and Kili help Thorin up. However, once he's up, he shrugs them off and approaches Bilbo. 

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" asks Thorin. He advances until he is face to face with Bilbo, who looks worried and frightened. "I've never been so wrong in all my life!" says Thorin. 

Thorin grabs Bilbo and embraces him deeply. The other Dwarves cheer loudly and slap each other on the back. Gandalf and Victoria smiles. 

Bilbo, looking quite surprised, hugs Thorin back. "I am sorry I doubted you." said Thorin. "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar." says Bilbo. 

As everyone chuckles, the Eagles fly away, screeching. Thorin looks beyond Bilbo and sees something; he strides forward, and the others follow his gaze. "Is that what I think it is?" asks Bilbo. In the distance, on the horizon, they see the outline of a single, solitary mountain. 

"Erebor. The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle ­Earth." said Gandalf. "Our home." said Thorin. A bird cheeps and flies by. 

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." said Oin. More birdsong is heard. "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush."says Gandalf. "But we'll take it as a sign ­ a good omen." said Thorin.

 "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." said Bilbo. "You can say that when the Dragon is dead." says Victoria. 

The Company looks on at the Lonely Mountain as the sun comes up behind them.