Chapter Eighteen

"Take up arms. Fight. Fight!" he says. The dwarves quickly get up and begin fighting the Goblins. As Goblins run at Gandalf, he kills them with his sword and staff. 

The Great Goblin, still lying on the ground, see's Gandalf's sword and points at it, crying aloud to his Goblins. "He wields the Foe ­Hammer, the Beater, bright as daylight!" yells the Great Goblin.

 Some of the Dwarves reach their pile of weapons and begin tossing the weapons to each other, they use their weapons to defeat the Goblins around them. Oin manages to reclaim his hearing trumpet, although it has been quite flattened. 

Nori, while fighting, lands on the floor; the Great Goblin runs at him and swings his mace. "Nori!" yells Dori. Thorin jumps forward and deflects the Great Goblin's blow, causing the Great Goblin to stumble backward and fall off the edge of his platform, falling to the depths below. 

The rest of the Dwarves and Gandalf continue to fight. "Follow me. Quick! Run!" says Gandalf. And the Company follows him, cutting down the Goblins around them, the Dwarves and Gandalf run along a pathway leading away from the throne room. 

Gandalf and the Dwarves are running through the suspended passageways of Goblin Town, with hundreds of Goblins running after them."Quickly!" said Gandalf. Dwalin sees several Goblins running at them from in front. Dwalin and some of the Dwarves cut a guardrail post from the side of the path and they hold it out in front of them like a massive spear.

"Charge!" says Dwalin. He and the other Dwarves charge at the oncoming Goblins and sweep them away with the long rail. Dropping the rail, Dwalin pulls out his axes and begins knocking aside Goblins. The rest of the Company do the same. 

Gloin hits one Goblin who falls and lands on another suspended path, breaking the path and dropping all the Goblins on it into the darkness below. The rest of the Company also fight the Goblins around them with their various weapons and fighting styles. 

Several Goblins snarl as they swing on ropes toward the Dwarves."Cut the ropes!" yells Thorin, as he and some of the Dwarves cut the ropes holding a raised platform in place, the platform falls outward, entangling the Goblins swinging on the ropes. 

As Kili fights, several Goblins start shooting arrows at him. He deflects some arrows with his sword; he then grabs a nearby ladder and drops it on the oncoming Goblins. 

Kili and some of the other Dwarves run forward, pushing the ladder and the Goblins it has trapped in front of them. As they approach a missing area of the path, the Goblins fall down into the darkness; the ladder, however, acts as a bridge for the Dwarves to cross to the rest of the path. 

As soon as they cross it, Dwalin breaks the ladder, preventing the Goblins chasing them from crossing it."Quickly!" yells Gandalf. The Dwarves, Victoria, and Gandalf continue running through the maze ­like paths, they get on a section of the path suspended by ropes from above. They slice some ropes, and the pathway swings away from the rest of the path, approaching a different path... "Jump!" yells Thorin. 

Several of the Dwarves manage to jump to the other path, however, before the rest can, the suspended path swings back like a pendulum to where it started, and several Goblins leap on. 

As the path swings back again, the rest of the Dwarves and Gandalf manage to jump to the new path as well, they cut the ropes, causing the swinging path and the Goblins on it to fall. 

The Dwarves and Gandalf continue running through the tunnels, killing all the Goblins in their way. 

Gandalf strikes a rock above them with his staff, causing the rock to fall down and begin rolling in front of the Company, squashing all the Goblins in their way.