Everything was fuzzy. I couldn't make anyone out. I saw the outline of several people in the room and colors. But no faces.

There were machines beeping behind me, unsynchronized. Wires ran all across my body, even as I stood. Needles were hanging from my arms and my face and I felt claustrophobic.

"Don't worry, princess. I'll take care of you."

A window came into view and I saw James through it. And myself. I was backed against a wall, fear in my eyes. He was slowly approaching me, his hands outstretched like he wanted to touch me.

"Princess?"

The wires followed me as I backed up. They pooled around my feet, covering the floor in the room. Slowly, a red substance resembling blood filled the wires and started making its way toward my body.

I screamed and started pulling the wires off me. The needles dug deeper into my skin and I could feel the substance inside of me.

I dug my nails into my skin, struggling to free myself. I felt itchy all over like little ants were crawling on me.

"Sterling, breathe." Nicoli was sitting on the edge of the bed watching me.

I sat up and pushed my hair from my face. "Nicoli?"

"Yeah?"

I looked at him in the darkness. It was so hard to believe he was the same person that snapped at everyone, had an attitude, and hated the doctors. He seemed so sweet.

"I can see you staring at me."

"Sorry. I'm just a little shaken up."

He got to his feet and nodded his head for me to follow. "Come here."

"I'm not sleeping with you."

"You'll feel better with someone beside you."

I glanced at Blair. She was fast asleep, her head facing my direction. Sighing, I got up and walked over to his bed. I laid down against the window and made room for him.

"Did I wake you up?"

He shook his head and crossed his arms under his head. "No, I was already up."

"Why?"

"I like to stay awake at night so I'm tired during the day."

"Why?"

"They leave me alone if I'm sleeping."

I looked at him, watching as his eyes scanned over me before glancing at Blair. "You're faking it, aren't you?"

"Faking what?"

"The medicine's not working on you, is it?"

He glanced at Blair again before speaking. "It works better than it does for Blair. They have to inject her every few days."

"That's why she was so mad yesterday. Because it wore off."

He nodded. "Yeah."

"You get like that too."

"I don't remember much before they found me but I know this place isn't for the good of mankind. They're experimenting on us."

"How many people are here?"

"Dozens. The families on the other side of the building were genetically made here. Half those people aren't even real."

"What do you mean?"

"Test tube babies. They're screwing up a lot of people's lives."

I swallowed. "James wants me to have his baby."

He didn't even react to my words. "So you're pregnant."

"I-I don't know. I've only been here a week."

"He talked you into sex with him then?"

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Well, the man's not exactly sane."

"There's nothing wrong with having sex with someone just to have sex."

"You could be pregnant." He pointed out.

I sighed and rolled onto my side. "I don't know what to believe anymore. I trusted him to keep me safe. Now..."

"Now you see why we're angry."

He had to be telling the truth. People who lied often did everything they could to keep you believing them. Nicoli was just talking to me like he would talk to anyone. I believed him even though I was still suspicious.