20

James wasted no time putting the IV back in my arm. He made sure it was working as it should then left me alone. He said nothing to me as he walked out of the room.

I still had no idea if he believed the story we told him. He wouldn't have been acting so cold if he did. But I still wondered.

I grabbed the baby magazines off the bedside table and started going through them again. I wanted to find more notes. There was at least one in each magazine though they all said the same thing: Take out the IV.

Frowning, I set the magazines back on the table. James walked in at that point, a glass of water in one hand and pills in the other.

"You should be resting, Sterling. Not reading stupid magazines." He said as he put the water on the table beside the bed.

I pushed myself up into a sitting position. "They're for the baby and his room. Don't you want it to be ready when he comes?"

"Drop the act, Sterling. You did this all yourself, didn't you?" He leaned down and got in my face, forcing me to push away from him. "Just admit it. Admit that you're lying."

I blinked and tears rolled down my cheeks. "I-I don't know what you're talking about. Someone grabbed me. I tried calling you so you could help me. I didn't want whoever it was to hurt the baby."

"I know you. I know what you're capable of. I wouldn't put it past you to escape and run away."

I put my hands in his, trying so hard to be convincing. "But I would never run away from you. I love you and I want to be with you."

He knelt down on the bed. "I don't want you lying to me."

I kissed his cheek. "I would never do that."

He moved my oxygen tube so it rested over my ear. "Are you feeling okay?"

I nodded. "I think I just need some rest. Can you stay with me?"

He lifted the blanket up and covered my legs with it. "I'll be here."

I curled up against his side. He was more relaxed. I didn't have to worry as much. Except about the IV. Once I woke up, it would all go back to normal and I'd forget myself.

I just needed to remember the notes.