Chosen Family

TJ's POV

I was dripping with sweat as I sat up from the weight bench, using the towel around my neck to wipe my face while I chugged the water bottle in my hand, trying to let the endorphins do their job and clear my head. I'd been at the gym for two hours, lifting weights, doing cardio, anything I could think of to take my mind off the anxiety that I felt. Luckily, I'd had the gym to myself since people rarely worked out after practice, and it had given me some time to gather my thoughts. By the time I finished I felt more settled and trusted that Harry could help me figure out a plan, and I just had to have faith that we would work together and get the job done.

I checked the clock as I caught my breath, noting it was almost four and I still had to get home and shower before Harry and I went to his Uncle's for dinner, deciding I should probably head back and get ready. I picked up my phone and answered some texts from Louis and Brielle, before I grabbed my stuff and started on my way home.

I was chuckling to myself as I stared down at my phone, reading Louis' commentary what he thought about the latest NHL trade rumors, as I made my way out of the gym and started down the hall toward the exit. I shook my head at his typical overly enthusiastic and colorful language, thinking about how much I missed him, when I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my waist and lift me off my feet.

I yelped in surprise at the sudden contact since I hadn't been paying any attention to anything around me, before I was pulled out of the hallway and into another room. I barely realized what was happening before I was shoved up against a wall and a hand was placed firmly over my mouth, the smell of alcohol wafting through my senses as I looked up to see Tanner hovering over me. His eyes were dark and glossy as he pinned against the wall of his office, glaring at me like he'd been waiting all day for me to walk by.

"Well look who it is." He grinned.

The look in his eye was one I'd never seen before, far more intense than the other times he'd grabbed me, and the redness in them seemed to match up with my assumption that he'd obviously been drinking. He quickly took his hand off my mouth and wrapped tightly around my neck, beginning to cut off my air supply as he held me there, jaw clenched in anger with his face inches from mine. I was still so shocked by what was happening that I don't think it even registered, my mind spinning with the idea that ten seconds earlier I'd been walking down the hall and now I found myself struggling to breathe with Tanner's hand around my throat.

"You think you can just talk to me like that in front of the team?" He asked, tilting his head at me, rage all over his face as he gripped at my neck harder. "When I tell you to do something, you fucking do it."

I instantly felt a sudden sting to my cheek as he backhanded me, shocking me enough that I fell to the floor as he released me, before he reached down and grabbed me by my hair and he pulled me back up. I was gasping to get air back into my lungs as I clutched my neck, my chest burning as I tried to breathe normally, feeling him once again pull me to my feet and into his chest. My heart was racing as he yanked my head back, leaning into me as the heat of his breath brushed against my neck, my mind unable to think fast enough to absorb how this could possibly be happening as he whispered menacingly in my ear.

"You're not here to play hockey, baby." He said, his lips brushing against my skin. "You're here to do what I want you to, to give me whatever I ask for, and to keep your fucking mouth shut."

My mind slowly began to catch up as I seemingly processed it, trying to think rationally about how to get out of there and away from him, without somehow ruining the plans we'd set in place. I knew I didn't have the back up I needed, the witnesses or the ability to record our interaction, and once again I found myself alone with him just trying to get away from a situation I knew I'd never be able to prove. I'd dropped my phone in the hall when he'd grabbed me, and I hadn't seen another person since I'd gotten there hours earlier, and my heart sank knowing that I more than likely would have to face him all over again in the morning if I somehow managed to get out of there unscathed.