Pallton

Oden

Ozias eyes me intently, shuffling from one foot to another. He debates asking something. We are in Pallton, the small city close to the ex-Karmian border. It was one of the first towns captured by Drellians when the war started.

'What are we doing here?'

'Securing the meet.'

'In the far southern town. What's the point?'

I step away and ignore the question.

I am hungry and freezing. Two things I detest. My coat is an inadequate shelter from the icy wind. My hands are already numb. We need to move to stay warm. Or better run. I would jump, but I am supposed to be the face of A9. So I am pompously freezing.

The town morphed into a hostage camp. Unlike Karmians, Drellians do not make the life of the hostages easy. A lot of them are dead by now. I don't have to go to the camp to know that. The reason is mainly the Drellian nature and utter ignorance about Karmian winter. Being unprepared ourselves, we cannot keep Drellian soldiers warm, much less hostages.

Heston approaches us several minutes after with ten of his men. I remain silent as he waits for me to greet him. He is six years older than me, with a spotless reputation, an unhealthy appetite for social climbing, and inflated ego bordering with a narcissistic personality disorder. With all that, he manages to move up the ladder fast. It only adds up more unique qualities to the list. We are not close. But he is still my brother, and I respect him. At least I make an effort to.

It is Cartright's doing. So I am semi-appreciative and semi-pissed.

'You informed intelligence, A9 wants to be part of the operation if we capture Guss. I am not sure since when intelligence devotes any attention to the wishes of regular soldiers but fine. Please keep in mind, Guss could be of use. You cover the street and secure the perimeter. From what I know, there will be two of them, and they are planning to negotiate the deal. We want to know what they can offer. If it is of no importance, you may kill them. But not a second earlier and only when I allow it.'

            Son of a bitch.

'Do you know what to expect?'

My voice nonchalant but Holt and Ozyas tense.

'Expect to follow orders.'

'We need more information.'

I hold my ground. Heston may act like a bint on a period, but it doesn't mean I have to join.

'You wanted in – you are in. Isn't your job to lay low and cover yourself with a blanket while we do the work?'

Heston is one of the people I would very much like to gift with a bullet. Or rather cut his throat. If he was not my brother. There are not many people on that list of mine, but he would undoubtedly be at the top. Again, if he weren't my brother. Foolish and narrow-minded, he is arrogant to the point of extreme. Surprisingly that can turn mountains in Drell.

I do not grace him with a reply. And start walking to the positions suitable for the mission. Ozias, Nyx, and Holt follow. I point to the houses I chose.

'Holt, you take the building on the right, Nyx, that one. Ozias, with me across the street.'

We part ways. I already reach the roof when I can't help it and blurt.

'Do not shoot if you are not certain. This genius will get us killed or get someone else killed at our expense.'

After they confirm to be set, we wait. No, we proceed with freezing. After two hours of complete nothing, I slowly start to fuel. A minute later, however, I spot two men marching down the street in Drellian regimentals. One of them raises his head high enough for me to recognize him. It is Guss.