An Offer

Oden

The hot and sultry air of Ovtorn makes me even more sweaty. Lazily I stagger to my house, but even in my terrific state, I notice the door is unlocked. All my reflexes jump to life from over a year of drunken stupor. I still carry my DH7 with me. I check the hall as I slowly open the door. The Deja Vu sweeps over me, and hope swells when I notice the light in the kitchen.

All I get is a wave of disappointment, crushing my body back to despair. Evans sits at the kitchen counter. Cavalier. Like he is at home. He even had the conscious of making some coffee. Its aroma brings me back to the good days when I took the time to make myself a cup. I step into the light, putting my gun away.

'What are you doing here?'

I wanted to startle him, but he seems unguarded regardless of my plan.

He appraises me. My hair is a greasy mess now. I have stubble on my chin and a very distinct smell of booze around me. My rumpled shirt and jeans paired with the dirty snickers make a dreadful impression. I am no longer a respectable good-looking Drellian officer, head of the A9, the pride of the Drellian army. The odor and the clothes scream misery. Seeing him only reminds me of how far I have gone.

'Three of us were inseparable. But Rhea was always a very private person, closed off, alone. So when Rhea turned thirteen, my mom wanted to give her a present. Something meaningful, something she would like. They had those expensive toys at that time - the first aid kits with almost real dolls. We instantly knew she would love that. Together with my mother, we gave her the present. Do you know what her reaction was?'

Evans holds the cup with both hands, his shoulders hunched and arms stretched across the counter. He watches me, waiting for the answer, and I stare at him. I bite the inside of my cheek to control myself and remain silent.

'She didn't know what it was. She never had toys, Candred. When you and I played outside among other children, Rhea was exploring abandoned territories with her father, learning how to survive.'

'Her bedroom,' I say but stop myself. The last thing I want is a mental breakdown. My sanity is undoubtedly the last thing that remains in my possession. Everything else, I lost. My pride included.

'The books? Wouldn't you want to escape the reality if you spent your childhood in the deadland? I would.'

His eyes are bitter, and lips pursed. The judgment, resentment, and lack of understanding stare back at me. I can't even begin to comprehend why someone would want to raise a child like that. Despite everything she has been through, she still tried to be herself.

'What do you want, Evans? You did not come to tell me a story, did you?'

'No, wanted to talk.'

'Then talk.'

I approach the counter looking at him suspiciously. But Evans replies with a smug smile. He is back to normal, shaved in a white tee and dark blue pants. His hair is shorter now. I spot his leather jacket hanging on the chair next to him.

'You need some coffee to be able to process what I want to discuss.'

His hands hover over the cup.

'I don't need you telling me what I need, Evans.'

I rub my eyes in frustration. A Karmian at my house. What a scandal. No, disgrace.

He smiles again and nods.

'Alright.' A long resigned sigh. 'I have one thing to discuss with you. More of an offer.'

'An offer?'

Jools Evans in my house with an offer. Well, here come the clanks. Why wouldn't I think of that? I have never thought hallucinations could be so real.