Rhea

Oden

It is nine in the evening when we get into the sky jet and head towards Sunbright. Using the map intelligence provided to avoid Karmian drones and air forces, the sky jet flies at a low speed further into the Karmian territories. We have to land several times for the drones to pass. The air is controlled by the Karmians now with no protection from Drell. By the time we approach Sunbright, it is already six in the morning.

The first beams of the sun lighting up the sky, painting it red. The winter has ended, but warmth refuses to come fast enough. The snow melts, but stiff wind furiously moves the branches of the gloomy trees. Brat lands the sky jet in the forest, close to the location.

'Welcome back to Sunbright!'

He turns to Ozias and me, tense and alert.

I am the first to leave the jet. We take the riffles and head towards the city; the silence of the forest surrounds us. No chirping of the birds, no howling of the wind. The oaks and elms stand bare in their cold slumber. With less snow, it is easy to walk now.

At last, we see the trees part and spot the first house. I examine the building through the laser sight, confirming it's empty.

'Go,' I tell them.

Silently we near the next house. Its occupants returned, though still asleep. We pass several more buildings until we reach the one we need. Four stores up, a flat roof with stairs inside and outside. It used to be a storage facility with several small shops on the first floor. Unoccupied just as I expected.

I am the first one to climb the ladder. The view from the roof is precisely what I needed - good coverage of the area with the direct vision of the house of interest. My hand touches my side reflexively. The fantom pain is still there, though the wound is now healed. We station on the roof, each taking a different position to make sure one of us can take a shot.

'If I do not have eyes on her, you will take the lead,' I say to both of them.

I take out the quilt and lie down. Fixing the laser sight, I recheck the house. The wind grows stronger. The sun is up and pours a tiny bit of warmth into the air. The cardinal settles on the edge of the roof and curiously examines us. Its black mask gives him a daunting look.

The cardinal is just a bird, nothing else, I tell myself.

I am on the right side of the building, the closest to the house where the meet will take place. With a click of the button, I hear my microphone come to life.

'Check.'

'Check,' Ozias confirms.

The hearing devices are on to keep us aware of what's happening inside.

We wait, silent, motionless, focused.

The morning is peaceful. I hear dogs bark in one of the houses. The rare vehicles move down the street. The light chilly wind caresses my face, and I shiver. The feeling of unease grows to an enormous size inside my chest, up to the point I can no longer ignore it. Is there something wrong with what I am about to do? I follow the order. The one I knew will eventually come my way.

I list my reasons while staring at an empty house. Rhea is the enemy. She tried to kill me after I saved her life. She contributed to the death of my brother. She was the reason why the signal was lost, and the Karmian army slaughtered the Drellians with no mercy. These are the simple facts that should make me loathe Rhea with every cell of my body. I nod to myself as if making sure that all the right reasons are still there. Then grit my teeth to shut down the emotions screaming at my face.