Crownbere

Rhea

My sky jet lands near the area occupied by division KB4 in the evening. Exhausted and moody, I march towards the white tents on crisp snow between napping massive oaks.

I did not get much sleep, thanks to my eventful trip to Moneree. I still remember that annoying morning. It was a struggle to get out of the city unnoticed. I should have gone during the night. I swear silently at Candred and my own stupidly all the way to Stolnter, and when I am finally there, I receive a note from Korstonbrow requesting support, pack a bag and leave for Crownbere. No wonder, when I finally reach Monsureen, I loathe Crownbere even more than I would have.

Crownbere is a small town in Monsureen - never been there, never was a fan. Relentlessly heated by the sun during the summertime, it reminds me of a frying pan. And, yes, there is no sea. Monsureen is only plain land that stretches for miles. During winter, however, it is no matter how warm the place used to be. Cold functions as an ultimate equalizer for all Karm, freezing everyone to death, then covering the bodies with snow as in bad fairy-tale.

Proximity to the forest provides some protection from the heat and the burning sun. The manufacturing sites, however, are in the open – no buildings around apart from the ones that belong to manufacturing itself, no trees, no hills, no nothing. Karmian civilians abandoned the town and now is held by Drell.

The division of Major General Korstonbrow is deployed in the forest close to the battlefront but even closer to the town, most definitely capturing the attention of the Drellian base in Crownbere. So no way to move unnoticed. The forest with raging rivers and deep snow is also not much of a thrill. Therefore, they need the cardinals. In fact, they need someone bold and reckless. Like me. Evans remains in Stolnter, helping my father and the rest with the plan to advance and recapture Moneree. And I am quite jealous at the moment.

A sigh full of cosmic disappointment and agony escapes me when I stop at the entrance. Korstonbrow is with several men, discussing the location of the rooms in one of the manufacturing sites. Major General is a short, heavy-set man with a very much Drellian face – proud, spiteful, and self-assured. His condescending gaze lands on me the minute I walk into the tent and never lifts. As if he doesn't trust me. The man does not grow on me either. The feeling is mutual, I am sure.

'Major General,' I announce.

There is a slight touch of hostility to my greeting, but I doubt they notice. Everyone stares at me, and despite my weariness, I still feel awkward. The dimly lit tent feels cold. There is a massive table in the center and very few chairs. So most of the attendees have to stand. All gathered around the table, they stare at the screen. The view is a little comical. With their bodies covered almost entirely by semi-darkness, their faces brightly paled by the dead light of the gigantic display.

'Colonel Flint,' with a curt nod Korstonbrow motions for me to enter. 'We were discussing the plan of the building with food supplies. It will hurt more if we take the food rather than the weapon. Don't you think? We are now going through the possibility to take over the building.'

All I want is to get some sleep, but he is waiting for me to comment. They all think of me as some kind of genius who can come up with a solution and magically get what they want without losing too many people. I start to get an idea that Korstonbrow hoped I would suggest going alone. Same way as in Croom. I am reckless, not suicidal. That's important.

'I am sorry, Major General, but I did not get much sleep during the last two days. I do not think I can be of much help right now. It would be better to cover it in the morning.'

His face turns grey, I think. It is hard to tell in this light.

How would I know how they can steal the supplies? He wants something that is merely impossible. I am not sharing it with them, though. Not until I get some rest.