21

Four sleepless nights, flashbacks of stunned, grey eyes that William would never forget

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Four sleepless nights, flashbacks of stunned, grey eyes that William would never forget. The pictures in his mind were so vivid, they followed his thoughts wherever he went and whatever he did. Even if he was playing cards with others, the thought of Nameless man would still wander to his mind.

William would forever remember the youthful, startled face of the Nazi soldier he had shot bullets through, but he also remembered the bone-chilling fear that took over once he saw the amount of Germans who wanted to sneak up on them.

The German man had looked almost like Steve, and whenever William closes his eyes, he sees the way the Nameless mans face twists into Steves angular, pale face. Ever since then, John has pushed him away from the sniper. But Will knew that he had to grow up sooner or later.

What did he expect? That he would go to the trench, hang out with a group of strangers and then go home to Mrs Davis? No, not at all... The reality of it was much, much different than he might have ever imagined.

"Pappys hand is healing remarkably well, I'm surprised the oaf is still here with us." John mumbled, wiping dirt from his boots. "the man is like made of metal, seriously, " William's eyes widened as he stared over John's head, Pappy narrowed his eyes, standing behind him. "I could throw a stone into his eye and he wouldn't even blink." John chuckled at his joke, glancing at Will, his green eyes too bright in the dull environment. "why do you look as if you're scared? Are you scared of him? You know, I can beat him in wrestling." The youngest boy covered his face with his hands, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Wanna put that theory to test Lawford?" Hoares rough voice made John jump, the green-eyed man blinked, offering him a wide smile. "No, no, not here. Wouldn't want to get your clothes all wrinkled and dirty now would we." he said, brushing dust from Pappys dark green clothes. The man leaned closer to John, making the younger boy take a step back. "Watch your big mouth, Lawford. Maybe next time you'll find yourself missing a tongue." Pappy said, brushing past the two while shoving John a little too hard. Will did notice the way his lips curved slightly upwards as John nearly fell. "Yes, yes of course!" John piped out, saluting Pappy as the older man trekked down the trench, going to swap places with Theo.

"No, seriously, I could beat him." he mumbled, crossing his arms. Will raised his golden eyebrow, giving him a side glance. "What?" he looked slightly irritated, Will took it as his cue to annoy him further. "Oh please, you wouldn't even be able to hold against him for thirty seconds. I'd put my money on him." his green eyes narrowed as he turned his attention to the snarky young man "And you would do better?" William smiled first time in ages and nodded in satisfaction. "We'll see about that, you smart-mouthed twat." he said lowly. Wills pale blue eyes widened as he suddenly lunged at him, they both fell onto the muddy ground with a small thud. The breath was knocked out of William but as John tried to slither his elbow around Will's neck, the youngest rolled them over, trying to throw the wet soil into Johns green eyes, only for it to land in his mouth.

He spluttered it out, growling out in annoyance as he kicked Williams tight with his foot. The boy flinched, glaring at John who was trying to spit out the dirt. Will grunted, lunging at John once again, pushing the man down with a force that knocked his breath out.

They rolled on the wet ground, trying to gain the upper hand in the wrestling match that would definitely leave some bruises on their skin. They had gained a small crowd of amused onlookers who had split in two, cheering each of the boys on while laughing at them. Both of their faces were nearly unrecognizable, only bright eyes flashing against the dirt that smeared their whole faces and clothes. William ticked his jaw as John shoved him away, the younger bit almost stumbled up, choking as someone suddenly pulled him back by the hem of his jacket. John froze, green eyes wide in surprise as he started at William who was staring at him.

“What the hell ye all still staring at? Get lost, the circus has ended.” Pappy's rough voice commanded, cold eyes daring anyone to object. His calloused hands made contact with the back of Will's head, making him rub the spot as he peeked up at unamused Hoare who was narrowing his eyes at the two. “what are you even thinking.” Will glanced at sheepish John, hoping the other male had something up his sleeve. “Uhm, Will started it!” he pointed a dirt-smeared finger at the blonde boy. “Did not!” he yelled, eyes wide as he looked at John with betrayal in his eyes.

“Ah shut it both of you, what would have happened if the enemy was right now sneaking in on us from your station, Blink? Since it seems you two have so much energy left, I'll let Theo know it is his turn to stand on watch. You two, however, will be shovelling the shit hole. Blink stay here until Theo comes, kid, go get the man here.” before Will turned around, he gave Pappy one more glance, quizzical eyes starting up curiously. “Are you Scottish?” pappy narrowed his eyes, making Will immediately turn around and dash deeper into the trench in search of Theo.

Some days at the trench were more unpleasant than others, and William learned the way to shoot men without making them suffer for too long. There were times when he was sent out to spy on their borders, these were the times he felt as though he was being tested, and each time he returned, he felt it. He felt as if he was starting to be apart of them. But word went around that something was arising near the enemy borders, that there were spotted some odd-shaped things who were human, yet weren't.

Each time his fingers curled around the gun, they shook less and less...

And somedays Will thought if it was right if it was fair. And there were nights when the ache in his chest almost made him cry, it was the ache that called out for the girl he fancied, it was the ache that called out for brothers and family. But he had to push it down because the war did not like it when soldiers got distracted.

Until one day Captain Carter received a message that their unit had gotten another mission.

***
Sorry if it sucked, but I still hope you're enjoying the ride and, well, just wanted to show you a little of the relationships on their unit. Is it even interesting you guys? Like, how they are getting along and stuff?