24

He dropped the box on the table, ignoring the older woman's curious yet angry gaze as he walked over to John, leaning against the piano as his sky blue eyes wandered briefly back to the nameless girl

He dropped the box on the table, ignoring the older woman's curious yet angry gaze as he walked over to John, leaning against the piano as his sky blue eyes wandered briefly back to the nameless girl. “What's the song?” he asked carelessly, feeling his legs still shaking. John glanced up, his green eyes half-closed as his long fingers still flew over the keys effortlessly. “Dream a Little Dream of Me, it's Doris Day you uncultured swine,” he said teasingly, slightly swaying in the gentle sound of the piano.

“And she looks like a little dream, make a move Casanova.” the older man said, having noticed the desire in William's eyes, the sort of interest he would not know the name of.

“I didn't know you could play.” he turned his focus back to John, immediately noticing the change in mood. He smiled bitterly, as if there was a joke Will didn't know about. “That's what you get for being taught so hard so you could just be good enough to make it into Cambridge. Guess what? I got in. But then I realised I didn't want to go there. And well, the war happened, and here we are I suppose.” he said, playing another song that was slightly familiar to the first one.

William's eyes were wide, John Lawford and Cambridge? “Woah, that sounds... Hard.” he didn't know what else to say, but thankfully Theo called for them, waving towards the table filled with goods. Will eyed the two German women as they walked around the table, filling the mugs and making sure everything was on the table.

Pappy sat at the end of it, his calculating, narrowed eyes never leaving the older woman as he keenly watched her manoeuvre around the table, not making any eye contact. “Sit down, kid.” his tone was rough and there was a layer of amusement. William sat quietly, catching the nameless girls gaze for a split second.

“Josephine Schmidt and her daughter Clara.” he noticed both women perk up slightly at the mention of their names, but they did not understand the language. “The head of the house was the town's major, apparently, he took the money and ran, leaving his whore and next kin here.” John informed William who had been too tired to ask the questions himself.

He watched with keen eyes as the woman placed bread, butter, cheese and eggs on the table along with some other foods. His stomach grumbled and the shaking in his hands intensified. The hunger nearly made him blind and until that moment, he had not realized how hungry he really was. As he reached for the bread hurriedly, strong fingers locked around his wrist, making the women freeze and stare in curiosity. “Wait.” startled, he looked at tense Hoare who simply waved Josephine Schmidt over, letting Will pull his hand back.

He didn't understand what was going on, but as the second in command pointed at the eggs and ale, he realised he wanted Josephine to reassure him the food was not poisoned.

So, with annoyance and curiosity, William watched how Josephine ate, her light eyes filled fury and hatred that didn't seem to sway Hoare one bit.

It didn't take long for them to dig into the food and William didn't even think that he was invading someone else home, eating their food, sitting at their table uninvited. At this point, he was starving, he was pushing away shock, he was thirsty, he craved praise and he was tired and anxious.

He wanted to belong.

At one point, his breath hitched and he nearly choked on a piece of cheese as he felt someones soft, warm and tender hand rest on top of his shoulder as Clara poured him some more spirits. He caught Johns eyes from across the table, a knowing spark in his eyes suddenly as bread crumbs fell onto his dirtied uniform. “You have not been with a girl before, have you.” he stated, obviously pleased that he had guessed it so fast. He chuckled, ignoring Elliot who had stopped eating and was now glaring at John.

William didn't answer, trying to hide the blush crawling up his neck as Clara reached for an empty plate across the table, her hand somehow finding itself on Williams tense tight. As she pulled away and headed to the kitchen, he could smell her sweet scent just briefly before it vanished. Will's ears were red and even Theo was grinning at how uncomfortable he was. “Well, I think we can lend young people the large bed for a couple of hours.”Will'ss head shot up, looking like deer on headlights as Elliot suddenly placed the fork down, looking angry at the three men who were laughing obnoxiously. “I'm heading to bed. Don't forget to leave your Captain some food. Have a good night.” he said coldly, pulling the Bible close to himself as he walked away from the table, not looking back for once as the three, slightly tipsy men made another joke about germans.

It didn't take long for them to get William drunk. His tongue was soft as he tried to move his head in the rhythm of a fast-paced song that played from the fancy-looking radio that had way too many buttons in Will's opinion.

They had found Hitler's picture from somewhere, it now laid on the table, seeming to glare at them with hatred for years to become. Theo held up a pen, making two sloppy circles around Hitler's eyes as he drew him large glasses and big-big moustaches. “Pretty tits for a pretty lady.” he murmured as he drew him a pair. “Wonder why Elliot doesn't like out Führer.” John grumbled, taking another gulp of his drink as he leaned over the picture that was being re-designed by Theo.

“Elliot has his own Führer waiting for him, a good Church-girl.” John threw his bead back, laughing as they allowed themselves to feel a little bit more free just for the night. William mumbled something incoherent as Clara's tender hands rested in his shoulder again, gently pulling him up to dance. He caught himself in the last second, almost stumbling into the petite girl.

William thanked Bucky, for having explained to him how dancing works.

The others noticed, whistling and clapping their hands as booze started running in their system. He laughed as well, feeling oddly relaxed as the girl's hands roamed up and down his growing biceps, chest and sides, a gentle touch here and there. Mischief and mystery flickered through her eyes, she was calling out for him, a butterfly touch on his face like a cat flickering her tail. “Kiss her you yerk!” John hollered, nearly falling from the chair as he tried to grab Theos shoulder.

William didn't hear their boisterous laughter or rude comments any longer. All he saw were those deep blue eyes and playful grin as she gently tugged him away, touching his jaw and locking their fingers. He couldn't help but follow her as if she was a siren, he couldn't seem to control his movements as she suddenly slammed the door shut, locking it and turning back towards the drunk, young man who had no idea what was going on, but the desire in him didn't lessen.

Clara pushed him, making him stumble back and land on the bed. Startled, he watched as the girl climbed on top of him, her sweet lips attacking his collarbone right away.

That sensation was new and it burned him, it warmed his bones and every nerve in his body became alive. The places her skin touched his seemed to leave behind a trail of fire, and need for something Will did not know.

Confused, drunk, and needy, William allowed Clara to continue. He mumbled incoherent words as she yet again found another spot on his body that demanded attention. Unlike he, she seemed to know exactly what she was doing. Clara was a whole new ground to discover. And she definitely took what she wanted and at that moment, she wanted William. Her small fingers tugged at his shirt, pulling it over his head with small effort as he was too tipsy to function properly. The shirt was on the floor immediately and her lips on his bare skin travelled lower.

That night lasted longer and no one interrupted them. However, the early morning hours brought new obstacles.

The first bomb hit the house on the east side, making the whole wall collapse and turn into ruins.

***

Hope you enjoyed, let me know what you liked! :)