27

William's eyes snapped open, screaming at the hands that were keeping him down, pushing away the man who was too close for his liking

William's eyes snapped open, screaming at the hands that were keeping him down, pushing away the man who was too close for his liking. He raised his balled fist and struck at the enemy, his heart beating wildly as the images of smoke and the smell of blood were still so vividly stuck to his skin. "Will!" the rough tone went unheard as William bit down at the muscular arm that was pushing on his chest to keep him down. The man cursed, yet didn't loosen the grip.

He saw those grey eyes getting unfocused, blood soaking the ground as the bullet William had fired pierce the skin and skull of the nameless German soldier. He saw how the young man frowned, blood dripping from his mouth as he headed towards William, his hands going around Will's neck as the blood from his head kept running and dripping on his face. Murderer, murderer, murderer...

"Wake up!" and suddenly he saw the calculated, dark eyes of Elliot Mayer stare down at him as he kept the panting boy down. William stared at Elliot, pushing his hand away as he crawled back, glancing between Elliot and Theo who was crouching on his other side, unmoving and eyes filled with hatred as he looked at Wills pale face. "Easy, it's just us here." Elliot said quietly, leaning back a little to make more room for the wide-eyed boy. His throat was dry and he could feel the heat crawling up his neck and cheeks as Theo turned away, embarrassed by the situation. "I'll head out, give the kid couple of minutes, Mayer." with that he was gone, the warm light of the candle now only warming Williams and Elliots faces.

The distant bomb startled Will as he felt the anxiety tighten it's hold around his neck, what was happening? "We are under attack, everyone is needed, they have surrounded us, William, we need to go." he said as gently as he could, but only then did Will realise Elliot was already holding his rifle and he was ready to head out. Will nodded numbly, eyes wide as he hurriedly roamed the floor of the tent to find his boots.

Before he could dive out of the tent, Elliot grabbed him from his shoulder, making him whip around. "Breathe and pull the trigger, Will. Don't hesitate, for your own sake, don't." His eyes were sincere as he tightened his grip on Will's shoulder before releasing it and leaving the tent

There was no straight line to fall into, no tactics had been called out. Just the ugly colour of death and whimpers of war-fallen soldiers. The soil smelled of destruction and smoke and the air was thick with fear of unknown.

Will hid behind the bare trees, following Elliot from a distance as the ground shook with bombs and the forest was filled with the sound of gunfire. He recognised the enemy by the colour red that seemed to follow their path. He raised his rifle, aiming at the bodies that seemed to sweep through the forest like the devils with faces of ordinary men. Like the demons invading earth and forcing families apart. One fell once Will had pulled the trigger, another close behind. They dropped weightlessly. Every time Will injured someone, he felt pity for the soldier's agony, the screams would forever be in his memories.

His body felt hot, the cold metal of the rifle having turned warm underneath his tight grip. He noticed someone barrelling towards him from the side, making him snap at the tall body, only for Captain Carter to duck and send an angry look towards the boy.
Captain pulled both of them behind a tree, lowering them just enough to keep away from the germans sight. The tall man turned away from the enemies, looking down at the frightened soldier, his eyes almost glowing with fury. He smelt of sweat, soil and gunpowder as he howered over the boy, frantically pulling something out of the inside of his pocket. "Here, don't lose it." he said sternly, giving him a bundle of papers. He gave Will no time to glance at them as he thrusted them into the inside of his pocket.

As he stood up again, pressed against the tree that was being bruised by the endless rain of bullets, William could see the sweat that glistened against Carter's forehead as he kept shooting.

William pulled the trigger, the rifle in his hands shaking as he dove into the forest, keeping close to the Captain. His ears rung ad sounds muffled together as blood coated his dirty face, the devil with foreign tongues killing mercilessly around him. As he stumbled into Carter while hiding behind a broken US tank, he almost slipped on the slick surface. Captains hand steadied Will, sending another heated glare towards him before briefly raising his rifle and shooting down a man who had appeared from behind the tank. William gripped his rifle, realizing his hands were covered with the sticky substance. Blood did not faze him, but this was not the blood of his enemies or himself, it belonged to the tall, sturdy man currently leaning against the pushed over tank. "Captain, you're bleeding." he said, glancing at the blood that coated his torso and shaking hands. 

"small stab wound, I'll live." he said roughly, raising his rifle up to shoot from the shadows of the tank as he suddenly cursed under his breath, turning towards William who was waiting for orders. "I'm out of bulle- get down!" he suddenly yelled, throwing his rifle aside as he immediately threw his heavy body on top of Willams lankier one. The boy grunted as they rolled underneath the tank, a sound so loud thundering against the earth that William was sure his eardrums broke. He screamed, yet he could not hear a sound he made. White pain blinded him, something flying into his shoulder with such strength yet he didn't feel it. The ground was angry as it shook and the tank creaked above them, pieces of it flying into soldiers who tried to move aside, chunks sinking into their flesh and bones being followed by blood-curdling screams.

But what terrifies every soldier more than anything, is the silence that follows after gunfire. 

Look at how cute Garret Hedlund is, the fc of Michael Carter 😰