29

William Rogers never went back to Brooklyn

He knew he had missed his chance when the girl had snatched the ticket and money. But in all honesty, William felt too ashamed to return home or even think about leaving his crew, his team behind. After what he had done. Theo never failed to mention it, or at least, the glares were always aimed at William who was by now almost healed.

Jack Hoare was now the leader of their group, he was even officially given the Captain status. It was no surprise actually, but it was still odd. William was always ready for Michael to suddenly appear, take a calculated step in front of them, slide his thoughtful eyes over the soldiers and give out commands. Saluting Hoare felt as thought new chapter had begun where they were heading into the unknown with much more hesitance than they did before.

Michael Carter had once said to him that only the dead have seen the end of war, William didn't really know what he had meant, and he might have started to understand that sentence a little better.

Like predicted, things were changing. William had grown quite a bit, marching through the woods, carrying heavy gear and helping wounded, it did that to people. He was also going back to his old ways, stealing. He wasn't proud of it, but more than he'd liked, he found his stomach growl- no, roar in hunger. And he also started finding help in moonshine. He also seemed to gain some sort of advantage in dark, he was often quiet and silent and it did not go unnoticed by others.

He soon became the person who secured the perimeter, scouted the area or snuck around the enemy lines. In those moments his heartbeat slowed down and his head cleared of all gruesome images, and those were the moments he learned that wind spoke and carried hints and sounds, that even trees whispered and bled into the earth just to be reborn again. He became a muted spy, blending into German lines easily with his fair complexion just so he could plant a gas bomb and make them rot from the very core of their nests.

There were rumours of HYDRA making themselves known and Hoare was in many stressful meetings, they were told to keep an eye out for the logos and instead of eliminating the threat, take hostages or report immediately. But it wasn't just ordinary soldiers they were fighting.

The very first time William had come face to face with one was in the early morning hours when the sun was starting to rise and they had been sneaking upon Nazi camp. He had scouted their surroundings three times before they had started to close in on the germans. In the mists of it all, William had found himself face to face with a man and a beast, or a mixture of them. His legs nearly buckled when the beast-man opened his mouth, it's teeth the one's of a wolf as it roared at the boy. Its face didn't resemble any animal William had ever known, it was as though it was supposed to be a wolfs head but had gotten stuck in a humans face, dark fur had covered the skin of the beast, long and thick like one of the boars. And William did not only felt disgusted and sick but also deep-rooted fear. Images of the beast running across the backyard of Rosas house, going to tear down their doors and killing the innocent ran across his mind as he stared up at the beast-man. The first beast-man William had seen had been killed by a bullet to his head by horrified John.