Chapter 9: Life in School

It's been 3 years and now I'm 11 I am still friends with James and the others and now we are starting middle school. I'm scared but I know I can get through it. I still don't talk out loud to others but they don't mind as they know I don't like doing so. I walk into the middle school staring at the lockers and many classes feeling uneasy. I look at my schedule looking for my locker number. I finally find it and put the combination in putting my stuff up. I make it to my first hour wondering where everyone is as I sit down. After a few minutes James walks in obviously tired and I'm assuming he stayed up late last night. I smirk and quickly write on a piece of paper giving it to him. He stares at it for a few minutes  and then frowns, "shut up Daniel" I laugh as the rest of the class comes in. He mumbles a few words but says nothing else as class starts. The day goes by slowly as me and James goes to every class. So far we have 5 classes together, I take his schedule and smile as I realize we have every class together. I made sure we sat by each other in every one of them. At lunch we all sat at the table talking about what we've been doing and how our day has been. James finally wakes up all the way and starts to play around with me as we write back and forth. The teacher walks over and takes our paper reading it, "Mr. Daniel would you like to tell the class what you two are talking about?" I stare confused, I was sure that my dad told all the teachers I was mute,"Um Miss, Daniel is mute." the teachers eyes widen as she blushes of embarrassment, "Yes of course, I forgot about your condition Daniel." She gets back to the lesson ignoring us for the rest of the hour. Once the bell rings me and James quickly get up and rush out the door, "So Daniel can I come over?" I nod, sure my dad won't mind and we continue to my dad's car. Once we get in James smiles at my dad. "Hey Beta Cody is it okay I come over?", my dad nods with a smile. As he is driving he looks back at me, "So how was school?" I look up with a smile, "It was great, finding my classes and stuff was easier than I thought." James stared at me with shock, I forgot he hasn't heard me speak, he smiles and nods with agreement. The tint in his eyes telling me he feels special knowing he's the only one in school who has heard my voice. Once we get home I lead him to my room. I got my own room after school started, as my dad knew I would need my own space. I grab my controllers and hand one to him. We play games for a few hours and then work on assignments that we had been given today. Once it was late James left and I waved goodbye as he walks out the door. My dad walks over with a smile,"I'm glad you have friends kid, now go get cleaned up and get to bed." I smile and nod as I run up the stairs. I accidentally run into Uncle Forest and I smile up to him, "Sorry Uncle Forest, dad said I have to get cleaned up and get goin' to bed." He chuckles and ruffles my hair as he continues down the stairs. I take a quick shower and jump into bed ready for another day at school.