Chapter 2 - Reaping Day

The day everyone and their father absolutely dreads. I say father because when my dad was eighteen, he was chosen to play in the games. Him and my mother had just had me, very early in life. Of course, he didn't win. I have despised the Capitol even more ever since.

I had awoke that morning to the sound of steps coming from every direction outside. Rising from my small little 'bed' which is really just a mattres on the ground and nothing more, I put on the required Reaping clothing, and sprinted out the door into the crowd of teens.

I didn't say anything to my mom that morning because my mom never cares. Ever since my father died, she has given the least amount of effort possible into raising me. Really, she justs works all day to try and get more money to fulfill her greed. All she does for me is give me one meal every day and let me starve for the rest of it. It's never bothered me, to be honest. I spend so much time away from her and the crummy house that I don't think she cares if I'm gone. If I'm not home for the meal, it's my fault, so I don't get to eat.

It's gotten to a point where I would consider Ivory's parents better to me than my own mother. They are so much nicer to me, and sometimes, they even invite me inside for a meal. Though, I can't help but wonder why after all the trouble I've gotten into, they are still as wonderful as ever. It's amazing.

I had arrived at the identification area where all the other teens were. Someone poked this little hole in my  finger to draw blood, and put my red print on a paper, and it was the next pokemon's turn. Simple stuff. But I was still trembling with fear for what is to come.

I lined up in a large group with all the other boys. Pure silence. Not a word was said between anyone for what felt like an hour. I looked over to the girls, and they seemed to be just as nervous as us guys. I couldn't find Ivory anywhere, but I can guarantee that she looked nauseous.

Once everyone was properly lined up and done with identification, we all looked up at the massive stage in front of us, waiting for Mrs. Flentia to show up and get this over with.

Thankfully, a female Lucario showed up, dressed in the whitest skirt you would ever see. So much makeup on it's face to make her look appealing ended up making her look somewhat frightening.

"Hello. I am Gloria Flentia. Welcome to the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games!"

Her voice rang across the area, as Mrs. Flentia spoke on the microphone with enthusiasm, expecting people to be happy about the Hunger Games. Nobody had any reaction.

"Let us get right into the name drawings, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" Gloria announced. I took a deep breath, entirely not excited. "As always ladies first."

I bit my bottom lip. It's not like the odds weren't in Ivory's favor. In a large glass bowl, thousands of tiny slips of paper with every teenage girl in the districts on each and every individual piece of paper. Ivory had about only 6 in there, saying as she is 16.

Your name is put into the reaping once you turn 12. Only once, though. Every year when you get older, your name is put in 1 extra time. But, if you are desperate for it, you can put your name in one extra time in return for rations of a small amount of food and minor supplies. I've done so twice, and so has Ivory. 6 slips of paper. Within thousands. Extremely slim chances.

Mrs. Flentia reached into the bowl and pulled out a single piece of paper. It held the name of one girl who will compete for the Hunger Games. There's no way it'll be Ivory's...

"Ivory Printilla."

...what...

My ears perked the highest they could. My nose twitched along with my eyes. I could feel ten tons of weight on my shoulders. My heart almost stopped.

How in the world does that happen!? Ivory mearly had a few slips within multiple thousands! Eighteen year olds that took a single ration had more names than her!

I looked over at the group of girls, who were all staring back at the shiny Sylveon. I saw her parents at the back of the herd, shocked, saddened, disgusted looks on their faces. Her mother, Jude, a Sylveon, was bawling her eyes out, silently crying. Her dad, Matthias, a Flareon, was trying his hardest to comfort her, while still trying to stop himself from sobbing.

This isn't right. Ivory does not deserve to suffer like this. She is the only thing that matters to me in life. My best friend, gone, taken away to fight to the death against who knows what. I felt tears roll down my cheeks as Ivory stepped up onto the stage next to Mrs. Flentia. She wasn't crying at all. It was probably because her mind was running too fast. She was either so shocked to react, or having too many emotions to comprehend. I felt guilty, despite not being able to do anything about it.

"Ivory Printilla!" Gloria said, holding up Ivory's paw. Nobody gave an applause. I was absolutely baffled.

"And now, for the gentlemen!"

I kept my eyes on Ivory, who held her head low. I couldn't believe it.

My thoughts were interrupted by some moron screaming "I volunteer as tribute!"

The name wasn't even drawn yet. Just by hearing the voice I knew who it was. I turned to see Fin walking down the aisle, strutting with pride. What the hell is he doing? Ivory looked at him with disgust as he got on stage.

When someone volunteers as tribute, they are willingly taking place of another, for their spot in the Hunger Games. Usually, teens who have spent their life training and knowing they'll be in the Hunger Games are the volunteers. We call them 'careers.' And from experience, Fin is nowhere near being a career.

I wasn't even surprised. Fin has spent a lot of his time preparing for the games, yet, he has not once excelled in anything in his life. Poor guy is gonna get slaughtered. I don't want Ivory having to deal with him... nor do I want to see her gone... I have no other choice.

"What's your name, sir?" Gloria asked. Fin smirked.

"I am Fin Uekli-"

"I volunteer as tribute!" I yelled with my paw raised in the air. I could sense everyone in a 10 mile radius staring at me. I stepped out of line and into the center aisle. No turning back now...

"Um... what?" Gloria said confused. Fin looked shocked, yet completely annoyed. Ivory's expression told me that she didn't approve of what I was doing. My face was red of embarrassment. Can two people volunteer?

"I am taking your place, Fin." I said, stuttering a bit. Fin glared at me.

"Nuh uh! I already volunteered!" Fin whined, trying to shove me.

"Hold on here, gentlemen!" Gloria began. "It seems you both want to compete in the Hunger Games, yes?"

"I don't want to... but... I need to." I said. Fin, Gloria and Ivory all looked at me, all showing different expressions.

"You... need to?" Gloria reassured. I nodded, and looked at Ivory. She slowly shook her head and mouthed the word 'no' at me. I looked back at Gloria. "Well, surely there is a way we can settle who is in and who isn't, hm?"

Fin looked at me, but with a thoughtful stare. He heaved a heavy sigh.

"I know what's going on and... Claud... you can compete..." Finn muttered. My mouth opened in surprise. That was the least annoying thing I have ever heard Fin say in my life. But... why?

Fin hopped off stage and back into the crowd of boys. He was relieved to be out of this mess. I looked back at him, one last time, nodding to him, and mouthing the words 'thank you' as I began to feel more tears form in my eyes. Ivory looked just as miserable.

"Well then, what's your name, young man?" Gloria asked me, putting the microphone up to my mouth. I hesitated for a second, until I started to speak.

"Claudius.."

"No, you're full name?" Gloria asked. I sighed.

"Claudius Emberdeen." I said. Mrs. Flentia took my arm, and held my paw in the air, repeating my name.

"Claudius Emberdeen!" she squealed. I turned to look at Ivory, who was looking at me. Both of us blushed. This is going to be a nightmare... and the only thing that's gonna keep me awake is the presence of my best friend. I must go on... as much as I can... for Ivory...