Chapter 8 - Tension

Claudius' Point of View:

Back in the district eleven lounge, after day one training, I wasn't exactly greeted with the most enthusiastic attention I was expecting. Mr. Ueklint was glaring at me with a mighty rage, while Malorie looked greatly concerned. Ivory was biting on the tips of her nails.

"Boy, you got a whole act to clean up." Mr Ueklint said.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, playing dumb. He must've figured out about my encounter with Karma.

"I have the ability to examine what happens in the training center." Mr. Ueklint cleared his throat. "You seemed to do more than train, from the looks."

I smirked. Might as well play along, if that's what we're doing. Oh, what do I know? The Bisharp is impossible to understand. "I'm supposed to make a name for myself. I gave the others a reason to fear me, and spectators a reason to love me."

"You also probably gave the tributes a reason to hate you. Looking strong and confident evidently makes you a main target for most people. Especially the careers."

He's right about that. But what he doesn't know is that I want to be hated. The more they chase after me in the games, the more they are away from Ivory. I grin at Mr. Ueklint, probably making him more angry.

When the time came to eat at the table, silence filled the air. Ivory stared blankly at her plate, obviously focusing on her thoughts instead of her food. I ate up everything I had quicker than everyone else, which I thought was strange, since I was not in any kind of rush. In fact, when I cleared my plate, it looked like nobody else had touched their food. I only saw everyone looking at me as I placed my fork down on the table.

"Well, I'm going to sleep." I say, sitting up and pushing in my chair. "Goodnight Ivory."

Ivory returns to reality and looks at me, before quickly turning away, shoving a spoon-full of food in her mouth. I entered my room and flopped right onto the bed, not even bothering to change out of my clothes.

I wasn't exhausted. I just wanted to get back to training.

Luckily, morning came quick. I was up, ready to go.

As soon as I arrived at the training center, all eyes were on me. Everyone stopped what they were doing. Knives were dropped on the ground, arrows were shot blindly, an Ampharos fell off a climbing wall.

I clicked my tongue. "Strange way to present a greeting, but alright." I say through the silence the place had developed. I felt sharp glares in all directions. My plan was working well... too well.

"H-he's just here to train like the rest of us, guys! Nothing to see here!" Ivory shouts, obviously annoyed at all the mixed tension I was receiving. Most of the other tributes returned back to what they were previously doing.

"You didn't have to do that." I say to Ivory.

"W-well, you need to stop getting into trouble!" she says back. I chuckle.

"Don't worry, Ivory. Like I said, I have everything under control." I've got a feeling Ivory is going to make my plan a little more difficult than I thought. I guess I just have to work with it. I hug Ivory quickly, before walking off to do my own thing.

It wasn't long until I was approached a female Ivysaur. She looked just about as old as I am, but definitely stronger.

"You're a real conundrum, huh?" she says to me. I raise a brow.

"If you are referring to my conflict with Karma yesterday, then I have no response."

"I can tell you're not as big a deal as you make yourself out to be." the Ivysaur says.