Chapter 15 - Emotions

Day 4 - 13 Tributes Remain

Claudius' Point of View:

I woke up like an alarm clock had gone off. Like I was somehow supposed to be awake at the time it was. It was still pitch black outside, and it didn't look like it would be turning day any time soon. But what do I know?

Last thing I remember happening was when I fell into Ivory's arms. Oh, how glad I am to see her and know that she is perfectly fine. I stretched my arms upon waking up, and a feint glowing light began to emit from beside me.

"Oh, you're finally awake." a voice, Kat's, said to me. I turned to see him, staring right at me with a smirk. I blinked a few times, adjusting to the odd light coming from... wherever. "You were trying to cross the Cornucopia. You ran into some trouble, but luckily, we rushed to your aid."

I sighed. "Where are we?" I asked.

"We're in a cave, safe and sound." Kat tells me. Looking around, sure enough, we were surrounded by stone, with a small opening that led to the outside world. "Ivory and I have been hiding here for coverage. Don't want to be out in the open, now do we?" Kat says.

"Why are you awake?"

"I kind of have to. Someone has to keep watch over the night in case anything were to happen." Kat explains. I nod, before looking back at wherever the light was coming from. Kat could have started a fire, but there's no sound of the fire crackling. That, and the light isn't bouncing around like a flame would.

"Why is it so bright in here?" I ask. Kat points over to Ivory, who is sleeping peacefully. The light seems to be coming from her somehow. I flinch back, having never seen anything like this from her before.

"She uses Light Screen in her sleep. The way she uses it lights up everything around her in about a five-to-8-foot radius." Kat explains.

"I've never seen her do that in her sleep before." I say.

"Ivory may have just recently learned it, or learned how to use it. It's pretty fascinating if you ask me." Kat says. We both seem intrigued by the convenient brightness of Ivory's Light Screen, as we continue to look around the cave at the expanding light. "Anyways, how are you feeling?"

Now that I think about it, I realize how much better my body feels. The poison is gone, I feel rested, relieved, and just all the more healthy. Kat sees me looking where the poison previously was on my torso, and speaks.

"I practically saved your life, Claudius."

I glare at him. "You cured me?"

"Pecha berries are known for curing all kinds of poisons. Fortunately, you weren't heavily infected, so they worked rather effectively and quickly." Kat says with a grin. I groan.

"Thanks..." I tell him. I don't want to have to show gratitude to him, because I still get the feeling that he is a deranged moocher who is just going to turn on me and Ivory at the last second. I want to make it clear with him that I don't think of Kat as a friend. Merely an acquaintance. "How have you been?"

"Well, I'm alive. I guess that's good enough."

We're both slightly startled as the cannon fires off in the distance.

"Another one bites the dust." I say. I see Kat with his head tilted down. "You thinking about something?"

"I just wish there was a way everyone can live." Kat says.

"What do you mean?"

"Everyone is going to die eventually." Kat sniffles while talking. "It just sucks that in here, that happens far too early in people's lives."