014

In the living room, Dr. Patel was reading a book on a medicinal herb as she sat on the couch, staring out the window in between. It's early in the evening. The heavy rainfall which started in the afternoon wouldn't stop.

They didn't show in the forecast that it would rain today, your Mom wondered. She is worried where you must be in this heavy rain.

"M-Mom.."

"Neena?" Dr. Patel widens her eyes as they fall on your attire.

"Sweetie, you are all wet from the rain.."

"Can I talk to you?"

"Ofcourse, Neena."

She walks towards you, putting her arm around, she smiles, "Let's get you changed first."

_

You stand in the balcony of your room, watching as the sky is now calm from the storm which took place an hour ago. No signs of the storm left only the cold wind. You stare at the hot cocoa in your hand. When you were young, your Dad would make hot cocoa for you when you were sad. You had a bittersweet smile at the memory.

"Is the hot chocolate good?" Your Mom brings you back from the thought, who was standing beside you, accompanying you. Your sister was busy with her studies in your room, so she didn't bother much listening to you two.

You nod.

"I hope it's not bad. I know I can't make it as good as your Dad, but.."

You laugh softly.

Her smile falters when she gets to thinking about something. Is she wondering how she should start?

"I think it's important to tell you this. Your Dad and I talked before our divorce. Honestly, I thought I would have a grudge on him but I didn't. We did have our fights, and at times I doubted if we were right for each other. And in the end, we weren't a great match after all. I talked to him. I asked him why he would do this to me. To you. To us. He told me about her. He married me because his parents had disapproved of her and wanted him to marry me. He met her again after years and got back with her. He apologized many times."

You stare at your now warm drink. "Wow.." you smile bitterly."I..met him at a grocery store a few days back."

Your Mom stays silent.

"He pretended as if he didn't know me. While I stood there."

Your Mom hugs you sideways. "I'm sorry you have to go through all this, baby."

Tears welled up in your eyes, "I just.. I want to live normally without having to worry about why I can't cope up with all of this."

"You will. You will, one day. And I'm so sorry I asked you to continue college when all of this was going on in your mind. I'm worried for you, I do admit that. But I shouldn't have mentioned at this time. So, I'm telling you now, Neena. You can study whatever you want to. And whenever you want to. Please don't let yourself go through this again, baby."

You cry, "Ca-Can I hug you, Mom?"

She stares at you with the motherly love. Spreading her arms she embraces you, rubbing your back. Her heart had warmed up when you asked this, her eyes glistened. She would've cried if she had seen you cry more.