Chapter 37: "This will work."

I walk with my head held high, intent in my step and fearlessness on my mind. I breathe through it, exhaling any fear that wants to surge through my body.

The front door of the house is right in front of me, close enough for me to touch. I reach out and just as my finger tips inch closer to the door handle I hear the voice that makes my insides curl fearfully.

"Monroe, where do you think you are going?"

I slowly turn over my shoulder, holding my bag closer to my body as if it would protect me from the unforeseen blows that I could endure from the hands of this man.

When I finally look around, I see him leaning up against the door frame with an emotionless look on his face, I couldn't read him and that was even scarier than when he was angry.

He was in yet another crisp white shirt unbuttoned at the top, his sleeves were rolled up and his pressed black dress trousers covered the length of his long legs, as per usual he looked like the perfect man in his perfectly relaxed but still formal attire. But it was all for show, it was always all for show.

His decorum and his drive for perfection kept the masquerade up in full effect but I had got to see the monster that lived within him and there was no other word I would use to describe him but that. Monster.

I needed to find that fearlessness, I needed to do whatever it took to get out of this house today, but now knowing what he was capable of and how calculated his diabolical mind was I couldn't take any chances.

I had planned this out front to back, I knew what I would say if he caught me in this position and I would have to execute it perfectly if that meant he would believe the words coming from my lips.

I knew I had to be as calculated as him, I knew I needed my mind to work as heinous as he was to be able to do this.

"I'm not a prisoner here Chase. I'm abiding by your conditions but I am not your prisoner. I'm your wife. I should be able to come and go as I please. I'm not going to see Tobias if that's what you're assuming." He quirked an eyebrow as he took into account every detail of my statement.

I watched as his mind ticked, he was trying to find the lies behind my words, cadence, tone and pronunciation but I knew he saw my truthfulness. However, he also knew I hadn't answered the question at hand.

"I have no doubt in my mind that you are following my rules Monroe, but I am just a concerned husband wanting to know where his wife is going. So, I'll ask you again and I expect a clear answer. Where. Are. You. Going?"

He expected me to falter with every emphasis in his final words, he wanted me to feel fear, he wanted me to hear the threatening tone in his voice but I wouldn't give into his need for control. I just had to be smarter, play his game and play it until the end.

"To Clarise's. I know you think she's a bad influence but she's my aunt and I miss her. You can have me tailed if that's what you want. Put a locator on my car, if that's what it takes. But I promise you, I'm following your rules." I put my head down feeling the shame take over but I let it because maybe he would believe me more if he saw my hurt and shame. "And I don't wish to have a repeat of last night."

I said before looking up at him through my dampen eyelashes and glassy eyes. I needed to see if there was still a human side to him, a side that maybe would feel bad enough to stop but there wasn't. His cold eyes told me a story of selfishness, greed and nothingness. He had lost all guilt or feeling in his heart or maybe he never had one to begin with.

"Fine." He said before turning on his heal and walking over to his office, closing the door with a thud. I reached for the door, as I seung the door open I felt the air hit my skin feeling a little taste of freedom and finally walked towards my car.