Chapter 17

don't slut shame in this area

snake shaming is permitted however

ROCCO:

Out of habit, I closed the door quietly behind me, even though our house was filled with people and chatter. I slipped into the hallway and ran up the stairs, internally cursing my mother. Why the fuck did she always have to have people over!?

At least this time it wasn't a fancy dinner party - everyone seemed to just be chilling. Blue light from the TV lit up the lounge. I took a quick shower and got changed - it was always weird doing this when there were so many random people down stairs who could walk in on me at any moment. I was just rubbing a towel roughly over my wet hair when the door to my room opened and someone barged in. 

"Oh my god, I am so sorry. I thought - I thought this was the bathroom. " Sirena stared at me, her hand on the doorknob. 

I turned around. I opened my mouth then stopped. "Um... We have four bathrooms... "

"I am so sorry." She said again, still staring at me. 

I cleared my throat. "There's a bathroom behind the door to your left. "

She was still staring. 

"Or if you don't wanna use that one there is one two doors down then on your right..." 

She didn't answer. 

"Or... um, downstairs and then to your left...?" 

She smiled suddenly and her eyes lifted up to meet mine. "I just came up to tell you the food's ready if you want to come down?" 

I fought to keep the frown off my face and matched her smile. "Um...Don't you need to use the bathroom?"

"Haha!" She laughed. "Exactly. " 

My eyes widened in confusion. "Ok, um, cool." 

She smiled at me. 

I looked away. 

She didn't move

 "Ok, thanks. I'll be down in a sec?" 

She smiled even wider. "Oh right, of course. Again, I'm so sorry." 

She didn't move for another five seconds, then with a smile that I guessed was supposed to be secretive - she finally left.

I turned back around slowly and let out a long breath. 

Downstairs, random adults I didn't think I had ever met greeted me and introduced me to their groups. Some of them were parents of people at my school - Ambicton was really fucking small. Their kids sat on the couches, eating and looking sulky. When I walked in they always straightened up a bit and watched me, no doubt embarrassed that their parents were talking to me. Lucky for them - I didn't really give a shit who any of them were. However, as usual, I had to play nice. I'm sure my mother was watching me. 

"Hello, Rocco dear. " Some random lady dragged me by the elbow into a circle of adults holding drinks. They all stared at me. 

"How's school going, son?" 

Finally after being attacked with questions about school and football for the hundredth time, I slumped down in the lounge on one of our leather couches that we never sat on because leather couches suck. In front of me, a bunch of little kids intently watched Shrek 2, gathered in from of the TV on cushions on the ground. Popcorn was strewn all over the carpet. 

"Hello." Sirena said from beside me. 

I jolted. "Holy fuck, " I breathed out. "I mean, holy lord. Sorry. I didn't see you there. "