III. Rafe Cameron

I groaned and shifted slightly. My head was pounding, and it felt like someone was pushing themselves through my skull with a hammer. I was definitely hungover from the events of last night and in desperate need of some painkillers and water.

    When I opened my eyes it was dark, but a streak of sunlight shone through a crack between the dark curtains. There was a warm arm draped across my body, I opened my eyes enough to see who I was sharing the bed with. It was the guy who I was dancing with at the party last night, pre-Rafe's meltdown. I briefly tried to remember the guy's name, quickly realizing that I never even asked him for it. It wasn't uncommon though, I really could care less if I was being honest. Even though he looked just as hot as I could make out from last night, any thoughts about that left my mind with the idea that I had no intentions of finding out who he was or staying here for much longer.

    In the darkness, I slipped out of the bed, quickly collecting my clothes scattered across the floor. I wanted to be able to slip out without having that awkward after hookup conversation. He didn't even make the slightest movement as I threw on my clothes, his almond eyes remaining shut and his breath steady. Once I was done putting on my clothes, I walked to the side of the bed collecting my phone and wallet. As fast I could, I ordered an Uber to pick me up at whatever random location I had found myself in.

    I caught a glimpse of myself on my phone screen, I looked a complete and utter mess. I looked exactly how I felt, extremely hungover. At this point I could've passed for still being drunk. My dark hair was beginning to knot, so I threw it into a simple low ponytail to try and hide how messy it looked.  My entire hungover look was complete by the two bags under my eyes, denoting to the fact that I felt like I hadn't slept in four days.

    Quietly, I slipped out of his room and made my way downstairs. His house was dark and quiet. It didn't seem like anyone was home. Even though I had thought that post hookup conversations were awkward with someone you never intended to see again, post hookup conversations were even more awkward when you're trying to sneak out and you run into someone's parents.

    The morning sun was warm and inviting, casting down its rays. Only it was completely different from the rays that I would experience if I had woken up this morning on the island instead. There was no cool breeze of air coming from the ocean.

    Rafe's chaos from the party last night ran through my head, while I waited for my Uber to take me to the Ferry so I could get home. Hopefully, Rafe, Topper, and Sarah didn't see me at the party last not or if they did I hoped that they didn't remember it. Even though I wanted more than anything to stay out of it and mind my own business, I couldn't help but wonder if the brunette girl Rafe choked was okay. I admired the fact that she so easily stood up to him and defended herself, even though she did end up feeling the repercussions of it.

    Just thinking about Rafe and the fact that he was able to do that to someone made my blood boil. I'd always thought he was an asshole, but last night I actually witnessed him snap. He was more than what I had originally thought, he wasn't just an asshole who likes to pick on those below him, he was a sociopath. Looks like all the lines of coke he's done are finally catching up to him. Who knew what he was capable of and could do next...

-------------

Kiara Carrera stood in front of her family's restaurant, The Wreck, with her arms crossed covering her chest as she watched me walk towards her on the sidewalk. She sported her usual judgemental, grin. It was a windy day here at the Outer Banks, so Kiara had brushed her long brown hair from her face. The dark skinned girl wore a red tie-dye t-shirt, tiny jean shorts, and the usual puka shell necklaces. Her look screams, "I'm a hippy", but if there was one girl on the island who could challenge me to the legs for days competition, it would be Kiara.