XXXI. Waiting Game

The five of us gathered at the Wreck, discussing plans for the upcoming days. Each one has a million different things on our mind right now, but we had to attempt to focus on the most important task at hand, the gold.

John B was trying to stay positive, but I could tell he was worried about his girlfriend. Ashtyn has been missing since JJ and I left the Chateau this morning. She was supposed to meet us at the Wreck, but she never turned up.

"He's doing a JJ thing." Kiara says, leaning back against the wall as she takes a sip of her drink. I knew this wasn't the first time JJ pulled something like this and it was not going to be the last. We all just had to deal with it because we loved him. 

One thing that worries me is where JJ will end up. He didn't have anywhere else to go. A part of me wondered if he was going to find himself somewhere he shouldn't, "You think he'll go home?" I ask, biting my lip at the thought of JJ being with his dad once again. The last time the blonde came back with too many bruises on his body. It might only be worse this time. He was at his breaking point and one more run in with his dad might put him over the edge. 

"There's about zero percent chance that JJ goes home." Pope responds, leaning against the table as he snaps out of his own train of thought. Pope felt responsible for JJ. Ever since JJ took the fall for him, he blames himself for JJ's actions. 

I knew how he felt. A part of me couldn't help but blame myself for what he did today. I could've done something to stop him. I shouldn't have left him to run off by himself. I should've gone with him. All I could do now was wait for him to show up. The only thing I had left was my guilty conscience and a million thoughts in my mind about him. 

I sigh resting my face in the palms of my hands as my elbows rest against the table. After everything that happened today, I really just need to lay in bed for the next two weeks. I was physically and mentally exhausted. 

A few moments later, I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, "You okay?" John B asks. His hazel eyes filled with concern as they lock with my own. 

"I'm worried about him." I answer, picking my head up. No one else besides JJ and I knew about the events from this morning with my father. There was more to JJ's meltdown than getting robbed with Barry. "He hasn't been in a good place today."

"It's too dangerous to pawn this off piecemeal. Our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up and once. Put it in a safe or a vault or something." Pope begins, standing up to pace around the room as he starts to rumble out his plan. 

John B and I shared one last look before turning our attention back to the brains of the operation. We both knew when Pope got an idea in his mind, there was no stopping him until that smart brain of his could put all the pieces together. "I-I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. I can figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning."

"All right." John B agrees. "Let's do it."

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah interjects, her brown eyes landing on John B with a disappointed look on her face. It seems John B agreed to do something with Ward that he forgot about.

"Shit." John B curses.

"What thing?" Pope asks skeptically.

"I have to go fishing with Ward."

"You can't get 400 mill 'cause you're gonna kill fish?" Kiara sighs, revealing her disappointment in John B.  

"Look, I have to go."

"Blow it off. It's 400 million in gold." Pope mutters, sitting down next to John B in an attempt to plead with him.

"Make something up." I suggest, shrugging my shoulders. John B did everything to convince us that this gold was worth dropping everything for, It was only fair he gave us the same energy back.