IV. Hurricane Agatha

Just as Hurricane Agatha blew its way onto the coast, things started getting weird around the island. Like most big storms, my sister and I are huddled under the covers on our living room couch. The only difference being that my parents weren't huddled up with us.

Instead, they are in their office with two mainlanders that I assume work for them. It is weird that they are doing business in the middle of a hurricane, and when I got a glimpse of the men earlier, they didn't look like the usual people that worked for my family. In fact, they look like two people my parents would usually steer clear of hiring.

    The wind pounds against the windows, causing my sister to curl up closer to my side. Elise has always been afraid of storms and it seemed to get worse the more she realizes how dangerous hurricanes truly are. We had lost power a little over an hour ago, and because Elise also has a fear of the dark, the covers were lit up with numerous flashlights.

    "Just go to sleep, El." I whisper softly, brushing my hand over my sister's head to comfort her. My hand gently runs over her hair and forehead, a role usually meant for our mother, but since she is currently preoccupied, I stepped in.

Even though being nurturing wasn't really in my nature, I would do anything for my sister. When I was younger I used to always wish that there was some way that what my sister went though could be projected on me. I always hoped that one day we would just wake up and I could take away all of the anxiety that she felt.

"Em, can you tell me a story, please?" Her breath stifles as she gasps for air, hearing the storm start to pick up outside. A mixture of rain and wind beating down against the house. Her skin is beginning to grow hot under my touch. "Tell me about the Royal Merchant?" She requests, her bright eyes growing larger.

The idea of a thirteen year old being interested in a crazy island legend of the Royal Merchant shocks me. As a result of my sister's question, I let out a deep sigh, "How do you even know about that?"

"Wheezie and I heard Mr. and Mrs. Cameron talking about it a while ago. We think her dad might be looking for it. Also, a few days ago when you were on the mainland, Mom and Dad were talking about it with the two guys that are here now." Elise revealed.

Why on Earth would Ward Cameron be looking for 400 million dollars and why would my parent's be talking about it with two mainlanders? It was all just a crazy story and only people who were equally as crazy believe that it's true.

"El, these are all just crazy stories for crazy people. If there was 400 million dollars in gold sitting at the bottom of the ocean, someone would've found it a long time ago. Especially, if it was this close to the island." I sigh again.

"Then why would the Camerons look for it? They aren't crazy!"Her voice raises, getting defensive of the family that she thought so highly of. The Camerons must be growing on her because all the time she's spent over at their house. Clearly, as her anger grew, she was starting to forget about the hurricane outside.

    Elise and Wheezie never minded their own business around the island. There were many times Elise came home, telling me something she heard when they were snooping around. Neither of them could keep to themselves, they were at the age where they live to feed off of causing trouble and spreading rumors.

    "The Cameron's don't need money." I said, holding my emotions steady for the benefit of my sister's feelings. Even though I really wanted to cut this stupid fairy tail short. I didn't want her to grow up believing that the Royal Merchant gold was actually real.

             It is 2019, there's no way that gold is just sitting on a boat down there after hundreds of years. Also, there is no way that my parents believe in this, they are far too rational for that. There would have to be significant evidence this was real for them to believe it. "The only way that Ward would be looking for this supposed 'gold', would be because he doesn't want people who actually needed it to have it. Elise, people like us don't need to go searching for gold. We already have everything we need."