XII. The Movies

One time I read a quote by someone named Warwick Davis that says, "There's nothing better than going to the movies and going into another world, and forgetting everything that's happening outside."

Well, I couldn't help, but to relate to that quote today. I needed now, more than ever, something to take my mind off of the Royal Merchant and my parents. I've done such a great job of avoiding my parents, but I knew eventually I would have to talk to them. I was planning on doing it after the Midsummers celebration. I knew all the planning my parents for doing at the country club was going to buy me some time to figure out how to go about the conversation with them.

It seemed like Kiara also needed to take her mind off of everything that was going on around the island, "I'm so glad they are doing this. Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life." She said as JJ, Pope and I followed behind her. "Aren't you guys glad I made you come?"

The four of us were finding seats in the growing crowd. This was one annual event on the island where everyone, no matter if they considered themselves Pogues or Kooks, flocked to. This truly was typical OBX life.

"Ecstatic" Pope replied, him and JJ sharing a look. It was obvious neither of the boys wanted to be here.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." JJ adds. I shoot him an annoyed look at his comment. He's the one who invited me here, he didn't have to if he didn't want to be here. So far today, he's been annoying me. Yesterday everything was normal between us, but  now he just seemed like he was acting weird. He and Pope have both been on edge since we got here. I thought we've been making strides with our relationship, but now it seemed like we had taken steps backwards in the short time we've been together today.

I decided to agree with Kiara on this one,  "Oh come on guys, this is fun. Stop being downers."

"Thank you. If only you two could enjoy this." Kiara said, grabbing my arm and pulling me in the direction of the concessions, leaving JJ and Pope being to set up our seats for today. As soon as we were far enough from the boys, the Pogue girl raised her eyebrows at me, "So, what's going on with you and JJ?"

"Nothing." I sighed. Part of me wanted something to be going on between us, but the other part of me didn't want to be involved in something so complicated. One minute he acted like he wanted to hang out with me and then he acted weird around me. I don't know how much I could truly handle that. But, I do think I have feelings for the guy.

"Obviously something if he's invited you here today. He doesn't just bring anyone around to hang out with us." She insisted. She obviously had made her mind up about what she thought was going on with JJ and I.

    I wasn't going to give in, "We're just friends." I mumbled.

    This girl talked between Kiara and I was weird and I wanted it to end, but the brunette insisted on continuing the conversation, "Whatever you say, but I'd seen it coming with you two since we were kids. I wasn't surprised when he said he was bringing you. You're the only Kook that I'd be okay with him being with. You're good for him."

    As soon as the words left her mouth, I didn't know what to say. I had no idea that she would feel this way. I would've thought she would be mad at JJ. Most of the time I thought that Kiara didn't me, but it seemed like I must've been mistaken. I liked the idea that Kiara and I could possibly be friends. 

    The same voice of the person that I argued with yesterday echoed behind Kiara and I. It seemed as though I could never get away from Rafe."Hey guys." He said, acting like there was nothing going on. In fact, he was being completely normal.

    "Oh no, Rafe. I told you to leave me alone." I said, rolling my eyes at him. There were too many people around to fight with him, which was probably the reason he was acting normal right now.