Chapter 14 - Acceptance

"Hey," Ben's velvet voice called out from the other end of the phone. It was already Friday and this had become our new normal. We called and texted everyday since we last saw each other.

"What's up?"

He hummed, almost as if he was rethinking what he was about to say, "Landon's birthday is tomorrow and I want you to come to his party with me."

Oh no no no. I shook my head even though he couldn't see and opened my mouth to protest but he beat me to it, "Before you complain about them finding it, I'd prefer if they knew sooner. I know you wanted to keep them out of it but they are my friends and it's getting kind of hard to explain to them why I'm always on my phone or going out with this secret girl that doesn't want to be named."

He was right to feel that way. If he had asked me to keep whatever this was away from Cami, it would be unbearable. It had already been three and a half weeks since we initially started talking and quite frankly, I was shocked that he kept his mouth shut this long. Shay was able to sniff out anyone's lies and the mere fact that he still didn't know was enough to convince me.

"Invite Camila too."

My jaw almost hit the floor.

"You want her to come?"

The image of him tugging on his hair flashed through my mind, "Not particularly but I don't want you to be uncomfortable and I want you to come so I'll sacrifice my sanity and possible safety, just for you."

I rolled my eyes, "How romantic."

"So is that a yes?"

"I'll think about it."

He groaned but accepted my answer anyway. He knew not to push it, if not it was going to be a hard no.

We talked for a little while longer, only ending the call when Cami strolled through the front door, looking all kinds of fed up. Her braids were beginning to fuzz, her makeup had a shine to it and her eyes were tired.

"Vacation time!" I shrieked and the dirty look I got was almost enough to dim my shine, but not quite.

She took off her shoes, unbuttoned her shirt and dropped her work bag beside the couch. She flopped down beside me and sent a weak smile my way, "Finally."

Cami didn't look like she was in the mood and quite frankly, I wasn't interested in going to the party but it seemed important to Ben and he was willing to let Cami come along although she didn't like him very much.

"So Ben invited me to Landon's party and said that I can bring you with me. You don't have to go if you don't want to and I'll stay home with you. It isn't a big deal," I rambled, trying not to put pressure on her to say yes.

Her eyes lit up and it was kind of weird. I would have thought that she'd feel the same way I did. Cami was also friends with Landon, Shay and Hannah but once I cut them off, she did too since she was my best friend and didn't want to make things strange with all of us. I wasn't sure if there were any hard feelings and having her at the party with me was actually a good idea.

"It's tomorrow right?" She asked and my curiosity reached an all-time high. I shot her a look and went to say something. She cut me off and I hadn't even gotten a word out yet, "I'm good with birthdays."

I nodded and let it go but something was telling me that wasn't it. I shook my head. Overthinking always got the best of me. Cami then launched into a story about how a co worker's lunch was eaten by someone else and she didn't know who it was. I listened and watched as she gestured wildly as she spoke. That situation had her worked up.