Whatever happened to dinner and a movie? (Part 1)

"That was so underhanded. You're amazing." Hannah beamed delightedly at her. Even though Hannah couldn't see the arrow, she'd figured out from my expression what Aphrodite had done. "I didn't know you use arrows, too."

"I don't usually but I wanted the dramatic effect." Aphrodite tossed her head proudly. "These two need all the help they can git. Besides, teen love is the most intense love there is. The power I can git off that? Don't be a selfish girl." She laughed, delighted with herself.

"I'm not selfish. And this isn't funny," I said, glowering at Aphrodite.

"Is that your 'in love' face?" Kai asked with a smirk.

"Yes please," Theo muttered. "Let's have them spend more emotionally dysfunctional time together."

"You know, you used to be a lot more fun," Festos said to Theo.

"You mean frivolous?" Theo retorted.

I tuned out their bickering and twisted around to look at Kai only to discover with horror that my hand had somehow snaked its way up his neck and threaded itself through the slightly curled ends of his hair. "Ack!"

I yanked my hand away but the compulsion to touch him was overwhelming. I rubbed myself against his chest like a cat. My body bristled, hot and cold at the same time, craving the steely feel of him against me. "Make it stop!"

"Don't cha love love?" Aphrodite asked happily.

"Are you insane as well as daft?" I sputtered.

That was the wrong thing to say because the next thing I knew, Aphrodite waved her hand and the shooting range, the insane goddess, and all my friends disappeared.

I found myself in a very warm space. A red light cast a warm glow over the room.

Well, I guess it did. I couldn't really see much since I faced Kai who stood with his back against a wall.

"Nice one," Kai said to me.

His voice triggered a blind need to touch him. I groped for his hand.

"That's not my hand," he said blandly.

I blushed as I reached for and, this time, found his hand.

"Where are we?" I whispered.

"Alone," he said.

Simultaneously, I thought this was the best and worst thing ever.

I fumbled on the wall behind him for the light switch, blinking as the room got very bright. I craned my neck to look around.

We were in a bathroom. A really nice bathroom. I'm talking Italian marble floor and glass and tile shower stall with six heads, but still, a bathroom. I cast a longing look at the shower. I'm telling you, it was high end.

I don't love Kai. This extremely reassuring thought popped into my head. I craved him like crazy, but love? No way. Which meant that (A) Aphrodite's powers may have been wildly exaggerated and (B) with both of us shot and neither of us in love, it was a level playing field again between us.

Albeit, a lust-induced one.

I could work with that. I grabbed Kai's shirt front and tugged him closer.

Someone moaned. Kai's sharp inhale as he shoved his knee between my legs and leaned in led me to believe it may have been me.

My lizard brain had taken over and was hellbent on satisfaction.

And my oh my, did that boy comply.

Beautifully. With a single, lazy, deep kiss that had me curling my toes and crumpling his shirt in my fist in an attempt to meld our bodies.

He pulled away.

I tried to follow and felt the rumble of his chest as he laughed. "I bet you eat dessert first."

I grinned at him. "Of course. And I bet you save it for after."

Kai blinked innocently. "I'm a very good boy."

I shook my head as I smoothed out his shirt. "Who doesn't want treats first?" I placed my hands on my hips. "Will there be treats on this date?"

Kai smiled. "Yes. Me treating you like a queen."

"Ooh. Nicely done."

He tilted his head in thanks.

"But how are you going to do that while we're tracking down Jack? Not sure you thought your little plan through properly, Kai."

"Hmm." He scrunched up his face as he thought. "You have a point. I guess it'll have to be a lesser queen. Of a poor nation. Or a deposed queen. A monarch on the run."

I smiled stupidly at his teasing. "I think you're going to have to up your game."

Kai's gaze swung between the fancy shower and me. He shot me a deliberately provocative look.

"See, that would count as dessert," I said. I turned and reached for the knob.

"Sophie," he said mildly.

"What?" I asked, exasperated.

I felt a tap on my right hand. Where was my hand? I gave a half turn.

Crap. I was holding fast to Kai's shirt. I hadn't even realized.

I forced my fingers to release.

Immediately, Kai laced his fingers through mine. He glanced down at our hands. "Problem."

"Stupid freaking arrow," I muttered. "Can you manage?"

"I'll try. But you're welcome to rub up against me some more."

I swatted him.

"Before we go out there. You need to know something."

I glanced up at him, worried by his serious tone.

One lock of hair flopped into his eyes as he gazed down at me. "I'd never treat you just like a queen. Only and always a goddess."