Chapter 7

I squatted next to a hedge as the footsteps of Luther's guards rushed back and forth trying to locate me.

"God damn it." I ruffled my hair in frustration realising today was not going to end well for me. But on the plus side I met Samuel.

"Autumn." A whisper sounded near me followed by a warm hand clamping around my mouth. "Don't scream, it's me, Samuel." The whisper drew closer and when I nodded my head in understanding he removed his hand.

"You scared me." I whispered at him while trying to calm my heart.

"Sorry." He smiled sheepishly before turning serious. "Is it the same people from last time?"

My nod halted midway when I realised how close we were and I scrambled backwards to increase the distance between us.

"I can try helping you escape again." He offered.

"Seriously? That would be great." I agreed while trying to keep the excitement out of my voice. This felt like a tryst between lovers, lovers separated by the step-mother that is Luther.

"Kristoffer and I usually come here for events, but he normally gets bored and tries to escape his bodyguards. There's this hole in the fence he usually goes through, somewhere around... Here." Samuel explained as he pushed aside a pile of leaves to reveal my chance at freedom.

"Ahem." I looked up to see the crowd of guards looking down at us blushing various shades of red. Their expressions made it seem like like they had interrupted a lover's tryst.

"Well, I'm dead." I patted Samuel's shoulder as I tried to climb through the hole and make a run for it only to be immediately yanked back by the guards.

After being brought back to their master I was forced to dance with him.

"Didn't I tell you not to try to escape?" Luther's voice was low but I could hear the barely held back anger. I leaned my head slightly back as his moved forward.

"I wasn't going to but then that glare you sent me activated my flight mode. I wasn't trying to escape trust me." That was a bold-faced lie of course, but he didn't need to know that. "Leave enough space for the lord." I pulled myself back but the hand around my waist didn't let me go far. "Okay, I was trying to escape but again would you blame me... sire." It's time to play to his male ego in hope of his mercy.

"Pfft." I glanced up at the sound to see Luther holding back a laugh. Like a proper laugh, not that condescending evil one he normally does. If you didn't hear me the first time, Luther 'the 'only feels emotions of rage and anger, not in that order'' Magnus was trying not to laugh. You know that human emotion that someone like him should not be feeling... He must've lost his mind, that is the only rational explanation. I've tried escaping one too many times and he's finally lost the plot.

"I'm so sorry, oh my god, I'm really really sorry. Just please regain your sanity, Luther. It's not as fun to try and escape if you're not even sane enough to know I'm trying." I yanked myself out of his grip and twisted my hands together anxiously. "Just make my death painless." I pleaded getting ready to kneel on the ground if that's what it took.

"I'm not insane." Luther reassured. "And note taken for a painless death." He added on, and I really wished he hadn't.

"Can't you just say I won't kill you again? Come on, show some chivalry." I seemed to have forgotten the situation I was currently in, and it wasn't one in which I'd be able to bargain for my life.

"If you don't try to escape, I won't try to kill you." He offered up magnanimously.

"Yes, my lord- no that's not a fair deal at all." I was ready to throw hands but I also knew I would be defeated miserably so I held back. "Wouldn't it be weird if I suddenly started not escaping?" The whole concept was too foreign, not escaping from a scenario in which I'm being held captive? Do I look like an idiot? "Wouldn't it be boring if I stopped trying to escape?" I threw some bait at him, hoping he would take it.