Chapter 44

In the bathroom, I was currently hunched over the toilet basin.

"Blergh..."

My hair was pulled back by my distressed mother who was rubbing my back in an attempt to soothe me.

"Are you still getting nightmares?" She asked after we had left the bathroom, we now sat in the dimly lit living room.

"Where's your husband gone?" I looked around as if searching for him but we both knew it was a bad attempt at changing the subject.

"I divorced him half a year ago, now tell me do we need to go to see the counsellor?" She hurriedly answered before throwing her own question back at me.

"Good riddance and it's nothing mum, it's probably just the aftermath of the coma." I brushed her off with a wave of my hand.

"Come on Autumn, take it more seriously." She rubbed the back of my hand, another soothing motion.

My mouth opened and closed in an attempt to form some words but I was interrupted by the sudden ringing of the phone. I threw a fleeting glance at my mother's mobile, upon reading 'withheld number' a hint of nervousness began fluttering in my stomach.

"Answer it..." I stared at my mum as she continued ignoring the ringing.

"So early in the morning, it's probably a scam ca-" I interrupted her by shoving the phone into her hands and repeating my words. "Who is this... He wants to speak to you, it's important apparently." She handed over the phone to me after interrogating the caller for a while.

"Hel-ahem-hello?" My voice cracked due to nervousness and I cleared my throat before starting again. The thumping in my chest grew faster and louder as I expectantly waited for a response.

"Au-tumn?" The voice that sounded was hoarse and there was a sense of familiarity which inexplicably caused my arms to be filled with goosebumps.

"Who is this?" Although listening to the voice brought me great comfort I was unable to identify who the it would belonged to. 

"It's Luther."

My grip loosened and the phone smashed to the ground.

"Autumn? Autumn, are you there? Can you hear me?" All I could hear was the crisp sound of his voice coupled with my thrumming heartbeat. My mum was saying something but I couldn't quite hear it, my eyes were focused solely on the source of that voice.

"L-Luther? Are you okay? I-I thought you died. How's Samuel, is he okay? What about Ian and the rest of them? How can you talk to me right now? W-What is going on?" I scrambled towards the phone shouting into it, as if he would be able to hear me clearer in the other world if I talked louder.

"Calm down... One question at a time." He chuckled quietly sounding a little breathless.

"How are you calling me?" I blinked in wonder at the fact that this was actually happening.

"I remembered the number you gave me." His teeth chattered slightly as he spoke.

"Is it cold there?" I tilted my head a little, waiting for a response.

"Hmm..." He hummed in agreement. "I'll call again." Then before I could ask anything else the line went dead and he wouldn't pick up no matter how many times I rang.

"What did he say?" She paused in the midst of her pacing to turn towards me.

"Nothing..." I stared at the phone willing for him to ring me back but seeing that he was probably busy I looked up at my mum instead. 

And then I felt a smile sprout and I couldn't stop the laugh that escaped.

"He's fine mum, he's really fine!" I giggled giddily handing the phone back to her. "But, what about Samuel? And Ian?" I looked up at my mum abruptly and waited for an answer.

"Who are Samuel and Ian?" She questioned and I just shook my head telling her she doesn't know them.

"Oh my god, I'm so happy. Mum can I keep your phone for a while? Just in case he calls, I don't want to miss it." I clasped the mobile close to my chest while sending her a pleading gaze.

"Sure." Her smile mirrored mine and the tired look on her face was reduced a smidgen.

I thanked her before retreating to my room, making sure the sound was on I placed the phone by my pillow.

Yet again, I was jerked awake in the middle of the night. The contents of my dream were difficult to recall...

I pushed open the windows in my bedroom and inhaled deeply to steady myself. A plume of white mist escaped me as the frigid air forced itself into my room.

I could feel the cold nipping at my cheeks and my eyes quickly began to water as the icy breeze hit them. Gazing up at the shrouded moon, of which only a fraction of its light could be seen, I flinched as something grazed my cheek. A drop of water ran down my face and I then realised it had begun to snow.

I stood there for what seemed to be an eternity, occasionally rubbing my hands together in an attempt to seek warmth.

Ring!

My head whipped towards the phone by my pillow and I rushed towards it, almost diving into the wall in my haste.

"Luther, hello? I've been waiting all day for you to call? What are you doing? Is something wrong?" I didn't even give him a chance to speak before I started to assault him with the questions that I had been mulling over all day.

"I'm fine, I've just been a little busy. Why are you sniffling?" He asked sounding slightly baffled.

"It started snowing, you know, and I was standing by the window and it's really cold so my nose is a bit runny. Is it still cold in Belsgrave? How is everyone? Can I talk to them? What time is it there? Are you all safe?" My ramblings were met with an awkward silence as Luther seemed to be hesitating in his answer.

"... It is cold here, I think they're all fine. Samuel was fine they Ben's first aid stopped his wound from being fatal. Hmm, everyone's safe." Luther answered in a hushed tone.

"W-why are you being so suspicious about it?" I nervously laughed in an attempt to quash the panic forming in my mind.

"I'm not being suspicious, hah. What about you Autumn? How are you, are you back in your world? Did you meet your mum?" His tone held a hint of expectation as he talked.

"Yeah, guess what happened? I was in a coma for a year, that's so crazy isn't it." I informed him while leaning against the wall by my window, the cool air was somewhat comforting against my skin. "I got to stay at this really famous hospital for a while and the treatment was A+, the food was so good. I have to go back on Wednesday so I'll probably steal some lunch from the cafeteria." I grinned, recounting the taste of it.

"Is it a main city hospital? Normally, those aren't that great." Luther questioned.

"Yeah, I think it's a private one named after some Greek guy like Aristotle's or something. It's got a weird name, haha, but don't worry the food there was great." I reassured him as I laughed.

"I don't think hospitals are supposed to be known for their cafeterias, Autumn." He laughed quietly and then once again abruptly ended the call there.

A/N: hehehehehe hoooooohoooohooo I think next chapters the last one woooooh