Chapter 41

Why isn't he coming? I need to ask him something...

What was it though?

"Where's Luther?" I clambered up off my bed towards Alec as soon as he entered the hospital room. He froze momentarily before sending me a sympathetic look.

"He said not to tell you anything." Responding quietly he helped me put my jacket on.

"Why?... Did I do something wrong? I can't remember it though." I blinked hard, massaging my temples in an effort to dull the pain in my head.

"No, I think it's something Luther needs to figure out." Alec pat my back gently while leading me out of the hospital.

"Where are we going?" I gazed dazedly around at the ever changing surroundings as Alec drove away from the hospital.

"It's a surprise." He laughed, glancing at me momentarily before turning back to the road.

We finally arrived somewhere before he blindfolded me and he tugged me gently.

"Why do I have to wear a blindfold?" I laughed nervously feeling slightly confused about what was going on.

"We're going to a secret location for a really fun event." He chuckled from in front.

I followed him slowly as he turned randomly and seemed to be walking down some streets. Suddenly I didn't feel too good and I couldn't help but get scared.

"I don't like this." I tried shrugging his hand off as we finally stopped. "Where are we going? Where is everybody? Why didn't my family come to pick me up from the hospital?" I moved away, startling myself as my back hit a door.

"Come on, Alice." He smiled, gently pushing me while I struggled to rip my blindfold off.

"I-I-" I felt a chill run down my spine when he said my name. I tried rushing back out of the dark room but was interrupted by a shout.

"Happy Birthday!" I jumped at the loud sound and turned back around to see the lights on with my family, Alec and Benjamin's family standing in our living room.

"Huh?" I tilted my head in confusion. "It's my birthday?" Looking around at the decorations left me feeling unsettled.

"Yeah Alice, you probably forgot because of all the stuff going on at the hospital." Ian grabbed onto my arm and pulled me towards the table. "Look, look Samuel and I baked you a cake." He pointed proudly at the home-made chocolate cake sitting in the centre of the table surrounded by various desserts.

Happy Birthday Alice.

I forced a smile seeing the hard work they had put into this party but there was a sinking feeling in my stomach upon seeing the cake.

"W-where's Samuel?" I looked around seeing that he wasn't around.

"Luther came and took him somewhere. But sis, aren't you going to compliment my baking? Why do you only care about him?" Ian glared at me, puffing his cheeks up in annoyance.

"Luther? Luther was here?" My ears perked up at his mention and I could feel my heart beating faster.

"Sis, are you doing it on purpose?" Ian pulled on my arm his eyes now teary as the look of annoyance was quickly wiped away.

"N-no sorry, I'm just- I was just distracted. Good job Ian." I reached over to fluff up his hair and he smiled happily at the praise.

"I'll cut you a slice." My mother reached over for a bowl before slicing up the cake for everyone, handing me a slice first.