44

I never stayed in jail long enough to hear of someone dying. I was usually in and out before all of that was shown to me. To be real, these 4 months have been the longest I've been inside when my usual turnaround time is 1 month max. I never stayed in jail to hear of a homicide, or a stabbing, or even a nigga raping another nigga.

But it was different this time.

They found Marquis body hanging from the top bunk with a picture of his daughter's ultrasound clutched in his hand. The nigga was apparently so stiff that it took two police officers to bring him down and then some. He wrote a letter too, I found it under my pillow.

Aye man, I just wanted to tell you thanks. You been the realest person in my life since I came into this prison. Nobody was really fucking with me since I got my DUI, not even my parents. See, I walked a real straight-edge with island parents who didn't play that shit at all. Old school parents from the Trini. So when they found out I got this DUI they felt so embarrassed that they told me this would be my punishment. The only hope I had was in my ex-girlfriend's stomach and that's gone too.

Skooby, even if I knew you for only 4 out of these 6 months I been inside, I know you a good nigga. Fuck what they tryna pin against you. If it was up to me, man, I'd walk you out the prison myself. Tell my cousin to transfer all the money in my savings into your books or to your mama for lawyer fees, I'm not gonna need it.

I really wish we coulda had a chance to kick it on the outside. Going out to the club and spitting game on those fine ass girls you claim to say you always snatched. And nigga, even now I don't believe you! But you know what.. whether you get out of this shithole and go find that girl Ana or make your way to never getting out the hood and never looking back.. just remember this: there's some crazy people out in this world who would do anything for a bag. There's people out there who would literally turn they whole life to the side and forget all of their morals just to say they got some money in they pocket and made a way out.

So skooby, as much as I know you're gonna be gunning for blood for whoever did this to you, don't. make a clean escape. Cut your losees, start some legit business and never look back.

Do it for me. Do it for my babygirl, Jasmynne. But don't let your life just be focused on doing it for the bag. 'cause when you hustling day in and day out, you lose the purpose that chasing a bag supposed to lead to a means to an end. Not the end.

But this is the end for me.

This don't mean it's the end for you, Isaiah.

Stay strong. I'll see you on the other side.

- M

That letter still fucked me up. But I kept it with my other personal belongings. Shortly after without even requesting, Officer Trinity pulled some strings to transfer me to another floor with the older inmates. My bunkmate was a 60 year old Hispanic man we called papi who didn't speak a lick of English. But that was fine, I ain't have much to say to him either way.

I just wanna get the fuck out of here.

-

"So my bae'mama wanna stop taking my collect calls and shit man. Talking about its too much money but its not like she puttin' money on a nigga books for soap and shit." The prison barber, Sharpz, was giving me a lineup while talkin' shit about his 2nd baby mama, Kisha.

He was a blood who got caught and charged with Armed Burglary, every time you would ask him how long he was in for he would always say a while.

"So I told that dame that she wasn't gonna get no more of my money if she kept up with that bullshit and imma just give it to my other bae'mama, Sparkle. Y'know, that ex-stripper turned mule who done turned into a junkie since I been in here. You know she wasn't having that shit. Especially when she went on 'bout," he started to mimick her in a raspy high-pitched voice You know she just gonna give it to that nigga Cut. You know she be trickin and going to Cut to get high. Even since they was high school sweethearts "And blah blah blah. Man, I'm bout to drop all these bitches and just get me a bitch that work in the Post Office."

"Man, how many babymamas you even got?"

Sharpz sucked his teeth and mumbled something under his breath. "I had three but the last one aborted my shit. Talkin' bout she don't wanna be stuck with a nigga in the life. I told that bitch she knew what it was when she met me. But its all good.. now I just got 2 from 2."

"So 4?"

"Naw, nigga. TWO from TWO. Cant you listen?

"My bad, g. you just said it like you got 2 kids each from 2 babymamas."

"Didn't that hoe Sparkle get your kids taken away tho, g?"

Sharpz pointed the hairline razor at his homeboy, Bullet with a threatening gaze. "Watch that shit, B, you ain't too much of my dawg to not get cut. And besides, Sparkle grandma keepin Jr. so we ending that shit right there."

Bullet threw his hands up in surrender and just turned back around to watch the news on the TV.

"Mhm." Sharpz ain't say nothing else as he finished up the back of my hairline.

"Aw, shit, youngin' ain't that you?" Bullet pointed at me then the TV and as I looked up I saw my mugshot in full HD next to the news reporter.

Recent reports of the ongoing case of Isaiah 'Skooby' Cheathem has indicated that the defending attorney has a strong backing that could turn this case upside down.

I saw my lawyer, Marquis cousin, next on the screen and I felt all these butterflies and shit in my stomach when I saw him.

"We are confident that my client Isaiah will be seeing the outside sooner than we all think. No further comment at this time."

The suspect Isaiah is facing capital punishment if found guilty for the charges of 4 homicides and 1 attempted murder. If you or anyone else has seen this crime take place, you are encouraged to contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-

DISCUSSION TIME

- how are we feeling about this chapter?
- how do we feel about Sharpz and Sparkle?
- do we think Skooby lawyer gon' set shit straight?
- are we ready to get back to Ana yet?
- any other thoughts//opinions//questions?? Lmk!

If you enjoyed the story, if you don't mind voting i'd really appreciate it. Bye!