It's a love bite

Chapter twenty-four: It's a love bite (Nick's POV)

Once we were all finished with dinner and were beginning to clear out, a question hit me in the head. If she wanted to tell people then why didn't she bring it up in front of us at dinner? 

"Night," I nodded to my mom and dad. 

"Nick, get over here," my dad ordered. 

Emma's eyes met mine and I'm pretty sure we were both nervous because, between her parents and my parents, mine are definitely the ones to bring it up first. "Yes, dad?" I asked while walking over to him. 

"There's something I need to ask you," he cleared his throat, "Madeline came up to me earlier today at the beach, she says there's something going on between you and Emma. Is that true?" he questioned. 

I'm stalling because I don't know how the hell to answer that. 

"I'd be happy if it was, Nick. She's a wonderful girl, your mother and I absolutely love and adore her," he explained reassuringly. 

"I know that, you almost killed me when everything happened," I sighed. 

"What you did was wrong, Nick. And I know your mom's love has spoiled you but we didn't raise you to break someone's heart. Especially a girl like Emma. You were ruining yourself when you did that," he gave me a pointed look. 

"What do you mean?" I questioned. 

"When you did that to her, you lost the perfect girl for you, and you began looking for distractions. Naturally. But the distractions you had weren't worthy to be brought home. There hasn't been a single girl besides Emma, that has been respectful to your mother and me for longer than a few days and it was very disappointing to see you do that," he sighed. 

I should probably tell him about Rachel. 

"Dad, do you remember Rachel?" I asked. 

"The worst of the worst," he scoffed. 

"Yeah well, she's here. In Miami." I turned to face him hesitantly. 

"What the hell is she doing here?" he asked in confusion. 

"She's here for the wedding," I answered. 

"She wasn't invited." 

I nodded, "I know, but she's planning on staying till it and she showed up at the beach while we were there, it wasn't good," I mumbled while shaking my head. 

He had a look on his face that I couldn't decipher. "Invite her to the wedding," he shrugged. 

"What?" I gaped at him. 

"You need to show Emma that she can trust you again, Nick. Pushing Rachel away isn't gonna get you anywhere with earning Emma's trust back," he explained while finishing off his whiskey. He has a fair point. 

"I'm not gonna be the one to invite her, dad," I shook my head. 

"She's a very rude girl, Nick, so I'm not doing it. I hate that girl, Jesus," he mumbled while shaking his head and rolling his eyes. 

"I think we all do," I scoffed. 

"Don't avoid her. If you do that then Emma's gonna misinterpret it and start doubting what you two have. Let's say we don't invite her to the wedding, just make sure to be pleasant whenever you run into her elsewhere. Be a gentleman. It's what we've raised you to be," he gave me a pointed look while patting my shoulder, "And now get out of here because Emma is waiting for you at the door and a gentleman, doesn't make a lady wait," he sighed.