1

Hello :) Before you start reading, this is just a general reminder that this is the SEQUEL to Before I Met You. Just click on my author profile and you can find the first book there. I wanted to warn you before you read because there WILL be major spoilers in this first chapter.

If you've already read the first book, happy reading! Welcome back.

<3

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎

I'M RACING UP the stairs after Dion to try to get to his bedroom as fast as possible. How could I have been so stupid? I know how much I hurt him, I know how badly I fucked up. I should have pieced two and two together. I should have checked on him sooner.

"Fuck, I'm going to call 911." I hear Dion say as I round the corner, my hand immediately flying to cover my mouth once I see Xavier on the bathroom floor. My whole body freezes in place, everything going numb.

Something inside of me kicks in though, awakening my instincts to help him. I race inside the bathroom and try to ignore all of the blood on the floor, but it's almost impossible. I can feel my stomach churn with nausea.

"Oh my god." I sob and try to get the towel off the rack. I can't quite get it though because my hands are shaking so badly. Finally, after two more attempts, I'm able to grab the fabric and wrap it tightly around his wrists. "This isn't the way, baby. This wasn't the way to handle this. Fuck!"

This is all my fault. My addiction caused this. Just like everything in my life, I fuck it up. I have fucked him up for good.

When his eyes start to flutter shut, I instantly grasp his chin so that I can look at him. His eyes are lifeless. His dark, beautiful brown eyes are filled with sadness as he stares back at me. He's broken.

"Xavier." I try to say, but end up getting even more choked up. I bite on my lip to try to pull myself together. "Stop closing your eyes. Look at me."

He locks eyes with me once more, but he can't say much. He's just sitting here lifeless, his body limp as he rests back against the wall. There's nothing I can say to him to help. I ruined everything. I know that I've officially lost the best thing to ever happen to me.

Even though I know he hates me, and even though I know he probably never wants to see me again, I try to say anything to make him stay awake. If he doesn't live because of my stupid mistake, I will never forgive myself.

"I need you here." I decide to say, pressing the towel harder into his skin. "Do you hear me? Do not leave me. Do not."

Surprisingly, he nods and becomes a little more alert than he was a few seconds ago. Dion is still on the phone with 911 as he stares at us, making sure Xavier is still conscious. If talking to him helps, then that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Finally, after what seems like hours, I hear the sirens near closer to the house. Xavier hears them too because he glances towards the window, and that makes me grip onto his wrists even harder to try to stop the bleeding.

"They're coming." I plead with him. "You hear them? You're going to get better. They're going to make you better. Just hold on for me, okay?"

He nods again, his eyes never leaving mine. I don't know what I'll do if I lose him. All of this happened because he said he needed a little space to focus more on school. I slept with someone else because he wanted a little more time to study. I truly am the worst possible person there is on the planet. I'm certain of that.